3 on the tree grinding noise

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I just bought a 78 Dodge D100 w/ a sl6 and a 3 on the tree. It was a 3 hour trip to get back home and the truck ran great. Driving it to work today, I notice that I get this grinding sound down in the tranny/engine area when I'm on the clutch and I hit the gas. When I let off the clutch the grinding goes away. Doesn't matter if the wheels are moving or not, it'll grind as soon as I hit the gas with the clutch pressed in.

Anyone know what might be up? I still have the paperwork from when the guy had it fixed at the shop. I'll have to look closer at home but it looks like it has a new clutch, throwout bearing and the whole deal. New bushings in the column so it shifts tight. It's really my first manual transmission so I'm kinda lost when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks.

i think maybe throwout bearing but i will be watching post to learn or maybe synchonizer i apologize if spelling is wrong

"Doesn't matter if the wheels are moving or not, it'll grind as soon as I hit the gas with the clutch pressed in".

If the wheels aren't moving neither are the gears in the tranny or the input shaft. If it's grinding with the clutch pressed in I'd bet it's the throwout bearing.

What's say the rest of you?

Sounds like a bad throw out bearing to me too. You may get lucky and it's dry of grease and has a grease zerk. Worth a look.

When you hear this grinding sound can you also feel a roughness in the clutch pedal. Whenever I've had a bad throwout/release bearing I could usually feel it in the pedal when pushing down. I also suspect that your crank thrust bearing maybe be wiped which would explain the sound while reving up and the clutch pedal depressed. Also when hearing the grinding is your tranny in neutral or in gear.

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I have some research to do since I don't even know what a throwout bearing looks like lol

Demon, yeah I can feel the roughness in the clutch when its happening. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's doing it in neutral and in gear.

The thing that sucks is that he gave me all the papers from the repairs he had done and the throwout bearing, clutch and pressure plate were all replaced about a year and a half ago.

-
Back