3 SPD shifter mounting

-

lilhows340

Reaction score
Hi All
I have a 3spd floor shift manual trans in my Demon. The shifter doesn't line up properly in the hump. Boot will not go on. Is there a shim to move shifter to the left to center it. Also does the boot mount to the floor under carpet.
thanks,
Jeff

Hi All
I have a 3spd floor shift manual trans in my Demon. The shifter doesn't line up properly in the hump. Boot will not go on. Is there a shim to move shifter to the left to center it. Also does the boot mount to the floor under carpet.
thanks,
Jeff
What trans do you have or is it an aftermarket shifter?

The A-body D13 shifter mount requires three barrel type spacers, they are similar diameter to alternator spacers, Just over 3/4" long.

a-body D13 shifter spacers w.jpg

Also, do you have the right shifter handle?

The 1971 up B-body handle for bench seat cars looks similar to the A body, but side by side they are quite a bit different.

As to the factory boot
The boot comes in two parts, the lower one screws to the hump,under the carpet, and is the weather seal, keeping out dust and water,etc. The upper boot is the dress-up boot and with the trim ring sits on top of the carpet, and is screwed down thru the carpet and also to the hump, thru holes in the lower seal,provided for that purpose.

Part of HotRodding, is making things fit, and all these years later, there is a lot of that going on.
Happy HotRodding

Everything is stock Coustie. And thanks TA I can make those up and yes correct shift handle. I have not seen in anywhere to purchase the lower boot.
Thanks for the info
Jeff

I think I got that wrong. The lower ring did not have a seal on it except for the Inland shifters,IIRC. The Hursts did not have a weather seal.
Oh I remember now; The boot had a metal ring on it that you slipped under the carpet and secured it with the 4 screws, and that sealed the tunnel. Then the trim ring just held the carpet down and in place.
Sorry I screwed up.Sux getting older.....i

Last edited:
Everything is stock Coustie. And thanks TA I can make those up and yes correct shift handle. I have not seen in anywhere to purchase the lower boot.
Thanks for the info
Jeff
Well i was asking cause i want a 3spd shifter for mine and was hoping you could tell me what to look for lol

I'll be cleaning out my shop in the spring, I may have one extra......

Thanks again
I have never seen a ring to hold down boot to floor for sale anywhere but make sense boot has 8 holes and trim has 4. As for getting old what are we talking about again hmmm. Oh ya and as for reverse it is where 1st is on a 4sd make that mistake and drop the clutch poor bugger behind you is going to get a big surprise. LOL

Thanks again
I have never seen a ring to hold down boot to floor for sale anywhere but make sense boot has 8 holes and trim has 4. As for getting old what are we talking about again hmmm. Oh ya and as for reverse it is where 1st is on a 4sd make that mistake and drop the clutch poor bugger behind you is going to get a big surprise. LOL
Just Him?lol

Imagine banging thru the gears and hitting 80 in third, and then graabbinning another one

-
Back