3 speed wiper swap

-

Project Beep

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have a '68 Barracuda with 2 speed wipers. I've got a 3 speed wiper motor from another project. Other than switch and wiring can I swap motors? I know I will need the correct switch and harness. Are linkage and crank the same for either motor?

I know the linkage is different on later ones. Changed my 76 dart from a 2 speed to a 3 speed

Also, some after market distributor caps might need a socket style cap.

Last edited:
The linkage arms are the same. The bushing at the crank arm that connects to motor is different. So swap harness, switch, motor and bushing and should be good. Leave wiper arms off while testing.

I'm not sure on a 68, but on a 70 and up you just need to swap the 3-speed motor along with an A body 3 speed crank arm that bolts to the wiper motor. Then you use the 1st piece of linkage from the crank arm, to the drivers side pivot. Change all the plastic bushings while you're at it! You only need to change the switch, because the wiring is the same and will work on either motor.
This may not hold true for the earlier and fatter 3-speed wiper motors, but I have swapped 3-speed motors into 70 ^ A and E bodies using the above method.

-
Back