3" x pipe exhaust for Big Block Duster

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
What are you guys running for exhaust? I am thinking of building my own?

Summit sells the X pipe kit for $109.00, all i need is some 3" pipe after that, and 2 mufflers. i am planning on dumping the exhaust at the diffy. Does anyone make a kit that is complete, i see 340 kits, but nothing for a big block A body.

Pulled the pin and bought the TTI headers and their 3" x-pipe. Also ordere Hooker Aero chamber Mufflers.

Got my headers and Xpipe today. very nice stuff. I will take the headers to the powder coaters Monday to get the high heat black put on them.

well started to install the exhaust and guess what. lol it doesnt line up, not even close. It's 3" out from lining up with the collectors. Everything is stamped and marked correctly L and R so i have it right. just wondering if they have a fix for this or what others have done here..

Last edited:
Notice at the 17 min mark they skip over the part where it doesnt line up and show it installed. lololololol
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=296o3EHCm2I"]Installing TTI Headers & Exhaust In Project Valiant - YouTube[/ame]

It would appear that you have to build the system from the rear of the car to the front then cut the reducer's accordingly to fit..

I also have the Summit 3" X-pipe kit. Just wondering what your driveshaft clearance looks like?

My X is several inches behind the front U-joint of my 3.5" driveshaft and can't be much further forward because it would hit the driveshaft safety loop. So the X has to be a little lower to the ground than I want, in order to clear the shaft with the rear suspension at full extension. Are you having any fit issues there?

Made my own X from mandrel bends from a truck supply house....

648026-8a068396254a6c66e1ca38d581492713.jpg

648027-07fad7b9f1c8cb38696c9bd9f711cd82.jpg

Made my own X from mandrel bends from a truck supply house....

Sure helps to have a lift, doesn't it :rolleyes: I'm farting around on a dirt floor shed lying on a moving blanket!

Ground clearance looks kind of low with the mufflers under the floor pan, though?
I take it tailpipes are not required in your state. I'm going to try and get 3" all the way to the bumper, a bit easier with the stock tank removed.

Spoke to the guys at TTI they are very helpful and easy to deal with i have some direction now and ordered some rear hangers from them as well. Will post pics once its in. Like you i am working on the garage floor, My Garage isnt tall enough for a 4 post hoist.

Sure helps to have a lift, doesn't it :rolleyes: I'm farting around on a dirt floor shed lying on a moving blanket!

Ground clearance looks kind of low with the mufflers under the floor pan, though?
I take it tailpipes are not required in your state. I'm going to try and get 3" all the way to the bumper, a bit easier with the stock tank removed.
At the time I made that I didn't have a lift but I did have a slab......

well even after the advice their stuff still doesnt line up worth a ****. I will have to take it to the muffler shop and get a bunch of pipes bent to make it fit. What a shame and waste of money.

About to start cutting the x-pipe up top see if that helps? Has anyone actually installed a 3" TTI kit in a big block duster with any success?

I think you may need to cut down the headercollectorextensions/reducers and that may take care of a potential width isue in the front.Its also probable that you may want to unbolt atleast one collectorextension/reducer while installing the x-pipe since they point inwards and will not be a easy slip on deal due to the angles.

The "problem" someone saw in that youtube video and tried to make fun of probably isnt even a problem in realy,its probably just what i pointed out above.

Please show us some pictures of what you are doing,i would hate to see you waste a bunch of money at a muffler shop on parts that where good in the first place since i doubt the parts you have are that far of,its very comon with exhaustsystems to need some lenght adjustments betwen the X and the headercollector.
Measure atleast twice and dont cut to much if you have to cut,sometimes the solution is alot easier than it seams to be.
Did you order mufflers with the correct offset?

I started with everything being 3 inches out. I cut the reducers back 2 inches and the swivel pieces and inch and we are still out 1.5 inches. This kit is not right, something is either marked wrong or this is the wrong kit? In the you tube video they never used a kit, it was alacart as he said. also the headers are 3 inches in height apart as well. one collector sits close to the trans crossmember and the other is 3 inches lower.

Ok my buddy who is a serious car builder and sheet metal fabricator came by this afternoon and the exhaust is on. The end result was cutting 2” off the collector reducers, 1” off the pipes that slip into the x-pipe, and cutting an inch off the x-pipe inlet itself. We have 1-1/4” slipped into everything up front and clamped. and my mufflers lined up in the back. I dropped hangers off the rear seat belt bolts.

Have a question , I have a 72 Duster that I stuffed a 383 in with fender wall headers. My question is do they make a exhaust system that will bolt up to the Headers with 3" dump outs

What i have seen is guys will use a 90 degree collector extension off the header, a nice mandrel bent one then its straight pipe to the rear.

Do you have any pics of the exhaust that you fit up? Would like to see your results.
Thanks Rod

Have a question , I have a 72 Duster that I stuffed a 383 in with fender wall headers. My question is do they make a exhaust system that will bolt up to the Headers with 3" dump outs
The front flanges are on my Hooker fender well headers. The rest is made from carry out pipe from the muffler shop and 4 90 degree mandrel bends.

i39128-jpg.1714919646

Does anyone sell (like TTI perhaps?) just the over the axle pipes?

Yes, tti sells over the axle pipes as part of the tail pipe. They are not cheap. If the springs have been moved i dont think they will fit but not sure.
Rod

Thanks, should have clicked around, but it was late and......

TTi Exhaust Component Parts

67-76 A-body

• Turndown, angle-cut 2.5" A25TP6776 $224 set, 3.0" A30TP6776 $236 set
Foot notes #9, fitment disclosure/issue, here --> Footnote #65
They also give a coating option for IIRC $100 and a additional 4-5 week wait, tip options are also on the site.

I guess it could be a good price if it was the delivered price, but.... thats the way it is.

Not a BB, but My 3inch TPs fit easy with just the 3/4 offset hangers. Tight yes. But ok. I think I had to fold up the tank lips in a couple of places. I quickly discovered that the intermediate pipes seemed to be for a longWB car, so I started at the back. No Xpipe, just an H. Everything fit after that on my 68 Barracuda,until I got to the front, where I had to cut a few inches off the extensions IIRC. Yeah that was nerve wracking for a bit.

-
Back