302 heads and cracking

-
What do they mean about this circled? I can hit my boneyard today and get a vin off a junker if need be, unless somebody has a "pet vin" they would like to share with me. These will be $615 shipped to my doorstep. Not bad really. Saves me from having to break my balls in the boneyard getting an uncracked set. I would like to hit the buy button now.

Screenshot_20201001-065406_Samsung Internet.jpg

I picked up another pair, 1st set were cracked double across the int/exh and another into the chamber. The new mag'd ok set im gonna port them , flow them..and sell on here.
About 800.00 is what they go for like that.
So if you're going to port them yourself, rock auto works. If you dont know how or are going to send them out... you could have a $1000+ dollar heads real quick after performance springs, retainers, a performance valve job.

Or you could zip through them with a dremel and imagine they flow more...but just have squiggly shiny lines. Casting flash removal does dick without being a major imperfection that protrudes in the flow path. Gasket matching ...not really anything there either. The bowl, the turn, the guide boss... with out doing those 1st, properly, the other stuff is just practice with a grinder.

FYI to anyone ordering from Rock Auto.....I had to enter my VIN twice, same one in each box, apparently since I ordered 2 heads. :rolleyes: Matt.....hope the correction I sent you worked!
Fogged up windshield caused me to screw up the VIN the 1st time! :BangHead:

Hey JD it worked. Got a set coming. With 10% off and no cores to return it's looking like $591. Could I send back my open chambered 318 heads? Would they take em as a core?

Anyone have any experience with the speed master bare castings? A little pricey for a single casting, but since we can't get EQ anymore maybe these are close...
Speedmaster As-Cast Cylinder Heads PCE281-1773
A member here has a set of those and he claims that they look just like a regular Magnum heads. Now it shows them listed as 179 cc's.. which is like 20 CC's bigger than the stock mags are,right?
Another thing I'd like to know is if when they actually get their port volume if it's done computerized using area of the casting or if it's tested with a valve in. I found a set of what I think or Speedmaster mag heads and so I went back with a water bottle that I had measured 179 cc's and poured it into the intake port ....it didn't take it all but it looked like it was only a few CC's that was left so that's where I get my question because I know a magnum head is not a 175 cc's

I bought a set of speed master bare castings when they first came out. Mine are LA style castings that look like an edelbrock clone. Think I payed $235 each lol. For that price I shoulda bought a pallet load. I have not messed with them since I got them. They are for a 408 build I have pushed off and pushed off, but now have the block done and ready for the bottom end. Looking at the ones in your link I am presuming that EQ isnt making these anymore?

I bought a set of speed master bare castings when they first came out. Mine are LA style castings that look like an edelbrock clone. Think I payed $235 each lol. For that price I shoulda bought a pallet load. I have not messed with them since I got them. They are for a 408 build I have pushed off and pushed off, but now have the block done and ready for the bottom end. Looking at the ones in your link I am presuming that EQ isnt making these anymore?
Yep, we are talking about the iron heads. Mag replacements from seedblaster.

I am looking into the KB167 .030 for this teener i will be using these heads on. A buddy of mine has a burette. When i get these heads i am going to cc them and get a true number to share. If these are 60cc , with these KBs , .030", and a .038" felpro headgasket, its looking like approximately a 9.5-1 CR give or take a point. Will have to probably run 93 and a colder plug than stock i am presuming.

Okay, I read back through the post and edited. I think you’re right on target with that cam and 3.73 and 9.6:1. There are some faster rate cams that “may” give a more power, but I really like that cam for all the parts you stated you are using. With the 340 exhaust manifolds, I might would look for a split pattern cam but there are worse cams you could use.

Last edited:
Mine showed up today. That was freakin fast. The plastic shipping boxes they sent em in are bad ***. If I send back some open chambered 318 heads, do you think they will still give me the $100 core charge back?

Will be a near stock shortblock and a mild summit RV cam.
is this an early hight compression 318 or a late low compression?
either way the Summit cam will cost you torque
low compression motor the 250 Voodoo is your best choice for a shelf cam the higher compression motor the 256
using stock gears and converter
post your true compression and we can slice the baloney finer
for example if you get 9.7 then 264
The summit cams are measured at ,004 and I'm specing .006 data cams, be sure you understand the implications

I decided on KB167 pistons and an isky cam. See specs below. This cam will work better with my combo, and 3.73 gearing.

Screenshot_20201002-213833_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201002-213850_Samsung Internet.jpg

Anybody else got a "pet vin" I can use to order these

For Sure, I went through this.

Just type in 11 zeros for the VIN and it will go through.

They want a VIN to an exact vehicle for the 1 year warranty. Building a hot rod with a different engine, just use Zeros for the VIN and save all your purchase receipts for the warranty. It will go through.

-
Back