31 year Garage Find Shelby GT 500 Mysteriously Appears!

-
That is not a car that was lovingly kept or stored in a decent garage for 31 years, but it is a piece of history that will never see the likes again. It is worth some serious cash.

Oh my god..... Unless you are Wayne Carmini,of "Chasing Classic Cars" this is the find of a lifetime for anyone. they are still out there.......... Years ago I worked for a surgeon who owned a red hardtop GT 500 KR and was lucky to drive the car often. You don't have to be a Ford guy to know how special these car were...

Boy, he didn't waste no time, listed it for sale the day Carroll died.......

Cool car though. I still remember the 1968 GT500 fastback 4-speed my uncles friend had, when I seen it 18 years ago it was in the same condition as this one, till his garage caught fire....no insurance :banghead:

He still has the shell rusting in the weeds, sold the drivetrain to a local ford guy. I remember it had Shelby aluminum wheels and fiberglass hood and decklid, all were gone after the fire, the dual carbs melted down like blobs on intake too...really sad.

that was a damn hard 53,000 miles..lol

'S what I wus thinkin'

fpbnl.gif

Nowhere near the same category as this Shelby but my neighbor growing up had a 10th anniversary Trans Am. He owned a tire and brake shop and the TA was his Baby. After he died early in his 50's the wife kept that car and all of his tools in the garage. She then became a serious cat lady/horder. I went home a few years ago and helped her move some stuff out of her garage. There was the Trans Am. Uncovered, T-tops off, windows rolled down and covered with cat feces, hair, and urine inside and out.

Garaged my ***. Hey, Shelby would be proud. After recently watching a documentary on his career, he said he made his way being in the right place at the right time...

Yes they are Johnny, I wounder how many members we have here that owns a Shelby Dodge, makes ya wounder don't it.

I do, a 89 CSX VNT with Recaro seats, I heard only 232 came with them, it was one of the only 2 options you could have had, the other was wider tires and they rubbed the body, only about 12 with both options were made.

That's cool and all.....but Shelby never had not one thing to do with Dodge other than the endorsement of his name. Not one.

That's cool and all.....but Shelby never had not one thing to do with Dodge other than the endorsement of his name. Not one.

I just read that Shelby had a hand in the development of the dodge viper.... Never had here'd that before until after he passed

I think by "hand" somebody meant "permission to copy and enhance the A/C Cobra" and nothing more.

I think by "hand" somebody meant "permission to copy and enhance the A/C Cobra" and nothing more.

Shelby Dodges and Dodge Shelbys

Shelby began working with Dodge at the request of Chrysler Corporation chairman, Lee Iacocca.[14] Iacocca had previously been responsible for bringing Shelby to the Ford Mustang. After almost a decade of tuning work, Shelby was brought on board as the "Performance Consultant" on the Dodge Viper Technical Policy Committee made up of Chrysler's executive Bob Lutz, Product Design chief Tom Gale, and Engineering Vice President François Castaing.[15] Shelby was used for his wealth of experience to make the Viper as light and powerful as possible.[15]
The following cars were modified by Shelby, and bore his name, but still sold under the Dodge marque:
1983–1984 Dodge Shelby Charger
1985–1987 Dodge Charger Shelby
1984–1986 Dodge Omni GLH
The following cars used Shelby-modified parts, but were not overseen by Carroll Shelby:
1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z C/S
1987–1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
1988–1991 Dodge Daytona C/S
1989–1991 Dodge Daytona Shelby
1988–1989 Dodge Lancer Shelby
1989–1990 Dodge Shadow Competition
1991–1992 Dodge Spirit R/T
1992–1993 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T
The following cars were modified and sold as Shelbys:
1986 Shelby GLHS (based on the Dodge Omni GLH)
1987 Shelby GLHS (based on the Dodge Charger Shelby)
1987 Shelby Lancer (based on the Dodge Lancer)
1987 Shelby CSX (based on the Dodge Shadow)
1988 Shelby CSX-T (based on the Dodge Shadow)
1989 Shelby Dakota (based on the Dodge Dakota)
1989 Shelby CSX-VNT (based on the Dodge Shadow)

Man you sure seem to know a lot about everything. Shelby had a lot to with the Dodge Shelby models. And "Permission to copy and enhance the AC Cobra" ??? Seriously?? That has to be the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

BTW I grew up in Sangaree next door to you. Had many friends in Tall Pines.

Cool:thumleft:
Almost bought in both, looked at several, but found the best deal off Ladson Rd. over on the Oakbrook side.

And, Thank You for serving, my son did 6 yrs. A/F in Japan & So. Dakota. Wife or should i say Ex. wife wouldn't leave DC area to move with him. He missed his son so much he decided to become a civilian again.

A big block Shelby rag garage find sure proves the adage that there are always more out there. Opportunist? Sure. That just shows intelligence on the part of the seller. Hell, even my daughter knows better than to set up a lemonade stand in the winter :)

Grant

I knew it! Now I need to go collect the 100 bigs one my friend owes me.

I like what Shelby did, but the man was an *** to his followers.

The only thing i like about that PHORD is the fm convertor under the dash , They call him an icon , but i call him a puddle jumper , what he did was jump from brand to brand to brand and filled his pockets.

-
Back