318/390 stroker kit oil leaks NEED HELP!

-

71strokerduster

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to the forum and looking for some help. I am currently rebuilding my dads 1971 duster for his birthday and will be giving it to him as a surprise. It has been in the garage at my rental house for about 3 years (he still thinks it's there).

A little back ground. I took the 318 out, had it tank dipped, and bore 30 over (matched to new pistons). I purchased a 390 stroker kit from scat, SB 63CC Edelbrock aluminum heads, RPM Edelbrock intake, holley 750 carb, 1.6 hughes rocker kit, 228/232 hughes cam(110LSA, lobe lift .565intake .571 exhaust), standard oil pump, high flow water pump, .5inch aluminum spacer, ready to run MSD ignition, Edelbrock 80gph fuel pump, tti long tube headers, kevko baffled oil pan, trick flow oil water seperator, mopar performance valve covers all from hughes engines.

On to the issue. We pressure tested heads, primed the engine, broke in at about 2-3k rpm. Everything looked and sounded great. We used royal purple with lucas break in zinc additive. No leaks, oil pressure was about 40psi when worm and around 70-80 psi at high revs. Once we took it for a drive we started noticing a leak in the rear main. We were not sure if it was the rear main or if it was coming from the rubber gasket on the oil pan that fit around the housing of the rear main. We decided to pull the transmission (3 speed on the floor A-230) and replaced the oil pan gaskets and rear main seal. We made sure to put a lot of silicone on the oil pan to ensure we got all corner areas that fit against rear main mount. Let sit for 48 hours. Took it for a calm drive, everything looked good. no issues. Took it for a second drive and really opened it up. We noticed a few drops coming from the rear again but nothin like before (had about 3 drops after an hour and then nothing after that). We thoroughly cleaned the underside of the car to make sure these drips were not from the past oil leak. Let it sit for a day, checked under the car and had no oil leaks on the ground.We then started the car up, let it get worm and reved it a few times, looked under the car and saw no leaks on the ground. we then did a final tuning for about 30 minutes in the shop with high revs and running constantly for 30 minutes, no leaks. we took it for a ride and did about a 20. minute cruise and had about 3 or 4 heavy pedal bursts to really opened it up (thing is a monster!!). When we came back there was oil on the top of the timing cover and manifold. It wasn't a ton but was confusing and couldn't tell where exactly it was coming from. We also noticed a few drops coming from the rear main area again but still nothing like before. We cleaned everything up. The next day I came back and started it to see where leak was coming from. There was no leaks. I let it get good and warm, reved it up a handful of times, no leaks still. I took it for a ride (maybe all of 10 miles) I hammered down on it pretty hard two times and brought it back to the shop. Opened the hood and there was oil all over the timing chain cover and on the manifold and up under the air cleaner (obviously blown there from the fan). This was much more oil than the day before. It looks like it is coming from the front of the manifold.

What we noticed is anytime it is under heavy load, it pushes out oil. When it is in the shop or on the rack and rev it up high, no oil leaks. Even the rear main area doesn't leak when its on the rack and we start it. But as soon as it is under load and we really step on it, theres oil leaks. It first started at the rear main area, as soon as we fixed that it moved to the front of the manifold area, again only under load. I am puzzled. The only thing i could think of is that it is building up too much crank case pressure. We have the trick flow catch can on the passangers side pulling from passanger side valve cover to back of carb. The drivers side valve cover has a foam breather in the front.
Has anyone had this issue before? Why would it be building up pressure to create these leaks. Rings, pistons, bore/honing is all new and inspected. All checked out. Could the foam breather be not enough flow? Is the trickflow catch can not enough vacume? should I add another breather? We did not use the rubber gaskets for the front and rear of the manifold, instead we were very generous with silicone to avoid any leaks ironically (back of manifold has zero leaks). Whats odd is even after it has leaked, when it is in neutral and revs up there are no leaks until it is under load (driving at high rpms). Any suggestions would help! Thanks!!

You used the intake manifold gaskets didn't you....... Never say never except when it come to intake/china wall intake gaskets.

You used the intake manifold gaskets didn't you....... Never say never except when it come to intake/china wall intake gaskets.
Reread post #1
It said "We did not use the rubber gaskets for the front and rear of the manifold, instead we were very generous with silicone to avoid any leaks ironically (back of manifold has zero leaks)."

What are your piston to wall clearances? Are they they forged pistons?
In other words do you have a piston that is rocking under load and losing the ring to wall seal?

I'm thought synthetic oil was not recommended for break in. Rings don't seat properly.
Reseal intake add a breather or 2.

Oil not blowing out your dip stick tube ? Good easy test to do remove the dip stick get a small balloon and put it over the tube it’s got to fit tight and get the rpm’s up look at the balloon if it starts to inflate it will give you some indication if your building crank case pressure .

A point that was brought up but not stated, intake gasket leaking under the manifold on the sides.

Kevko sold me two pans that wre deformed at the rear seal and neither fit correctly. After calling them and sending them pictures of the bend they blamed it on the shipper. The boxes had no damage and both pans were bent the same way on the same corner at the rear.

This will be my last Kevko pan due to th cocky *** hole I talked to on the phone that insisted it was the shipper.

The quality was not good and having two pans at the same time to compare was even more concerning . Neither was constructed the same comparing one to the other.

We have a machine shop and won't buy their product again. Milodon has weld problems but at least they fit. We can weld them and repaint them easy . But having to make them fit is time consuming. We cannot send a motor out with a product we don't back.

If they would have told us they were concerned and would look into it we would feel different.

But their first reaction was to pass the buck onto the shipper. What are the chances that two pans in undamaged boxes were damage the exact same way. In my opinion they are using rejected cores they bought cheap and never did a quality check before shipping. Even the sides of the pans were deformed and don't fit over the 4 bolt main caps. .

100_0088 (2).JPG

100_0091 (2).JPG

100_0085.JPG

100_0086 (2).JPG

100_0087 (2).JPG

100_0089 (2).JPG

100_0090 (2).JPG

What are your piston to wall clearances? Are they they forged pistons?
In other words do you have a piston that is rocking under load and losing the ring to wall seal?
Yea forged icon pistons. We didn’t have any rocking or gaps without load and I didn’t feel anything like that when driving. Everything was very smooth, but maybe I wouldn’t feel it. Everything fit and sealed as should

Kevko sold me two pans that wre deformed at the rear seal and neither fit correctly. After calling them and sending them pictures of the bend they blamed it on the shipper. The boxes had no damage and both pans were bent the same way on the same corner at the rear.

This will be my last Kevko pan due to th cocky *** hole I talked to on the phone that insisted it was the shipper.

The quality was not good and having two pans at the same time to compare was even more concerning . Neither was constructed the same comparing one to the other.

We have a machine shop and won't buy their product again. Milodon has weld problems but at least they fit. We can weld them and repaint them easy . But having to make them fit is time consuming. We cannot send a motor out with a product we don't back.

If they would have told us they were concerned and would look into it we would feel different.

But their first reaction was to pass the buck onto the shipper. What are the chances that two pans in undamaged boxes were damage the exact same way. In my opinion they are using rejected cores they bought cheap and never did a quality check before shipping. Even the sides of the pans were deformed and don't fit over the 4 bolt main caps. .

View attachment 1715884475

View attachment 1715884476

View attachment 1715884477

View attachment 1715884478

View attachment 1715884479

View attachment 1715884480

View attachment 1715884481
I was thinking this may be an issue as well since the rear main this second time looks dry but the pan gasket is wet. It still seems odd that once a leak is fixed it pushes another one. Seems like it must be building pressure

Oil not blowing out your dip stick tube ? Good easy test to do remove the dip stick get a small balloon and put it over the tube it’s got to fit tight and get the rpm’s up look at the balloon if it starts to inflate it will give you some indication if your building crank case pressure .
That’s a good point I’m not sure. I’ll have to try this and check it out. That’s a good trick with the ballon

I'm thought synthetic oil was not recommended for break in. Rings don't seat properly.
Reseal intake add a breather or 2.
Maybe I shouldn’t have used the royal purple. I was told it is the best. After we changed the rear main seal I had to drain the oil so I changed the filter abs put the royal purple break in oil and am currently running that.

It can seep up the intake bolts if they are not gooped. But that sounds like alot of oil. You running an oil slinger? I dont know why people leave them out, they really keep oil off the front seal when running.

-
Back