318 from 74 Van into a 68 Valiant

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I found a 318 engine for my Valiant!!!!!!! The motor is from a 74 Van. Will I need to change or modify anything to get this motor to work in my car?

I know that right now I have to find a 904 that accepts the V8 since i had a slant 6 before. But I'm asking about the motor needing a oil pan swap or sump in the wrong place. Anything.

Before I drive 1hr and 30 minutes to go pick it up and find there is no way it will fit.

Don't remember your 68? still have the old style timing cover/ water pump?

I used the "all late" setup in my 67, but you need a different rad, move the lower outlet, or I "cheated" and ran a hose across the bottom in the "pocket" in front of the K

Van exhaust manifolds won't fit.

The van didn't have a trans? That's what's in mine, out of a 77 B200. A-727 needs different driveshaft, so if you can, upgrade the rear axle so you don't have to make a new shaft twice.

If you search for a trans, make sure (if with a converter) it has the late, larger converter snout for the later engine.

I would stick with a 68-up 904 trans so you don't have to make a new drive shaft unless you can afford it now. That 7 1/4 won't hold up long under a stronger engine if beating on it.

-
Back