318 Harmonic Damper Install

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
Hey FABO,

I'm replacing the timing cover, water pump, and oil pan on a 318.

Do I put the harmonic balancer back on before the oil pan, or do I install it as the last step after the oil pan has been installed and set up?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hey FABO,

Do I put the harmonic balancer back on before the oil pan, or do I install it as the last step after the oil pan has been installed and set up?

Thank you
I put it the balancer on after the pan, but I guess it wouldn't matter which way you did it.

Put the timing cover on, but do not tighten it down.
Install the harmonic balancer.
Tighten the timing cover bolts.
Install oil pan.
This sequence allows the front oil seal in the timing cover to "find it's center" on the harmonic balancer- there's not a lot of wiggle room, but it can be enough to cause premature wear of the seal. Oil pan is last, because the end seals can push the timing cover up, or not even allow the bolts to start on the timing cover if done first. It can be done, but not preferred.

Put the timing chain cover on, then the oil pan, then the damper....

Hey FABO,

Thank you
Technically...Before timing cover is torqued.

With all bolts threaded in holding the cover but not snug yet..lightly oil the seal/balancer and install it on the crankshaft. Torque it most of the way down...now torque the cover bolts to spec and then finish off the balancer bolt.

*The damper/balancer centers the cover/seal for even wear and good seal.

The listed procedures are technically true, think GM LS that also have no locating pins. The balancer locates the timing cover/oil pump seal.

Last edited:
The listed procedures are technically true but really only for modern covers, think GM LS that have no locating pins. The balancer locates the timing cover/oil pump seal.
LA & Magnum covers don't have locating pins.

Put the timing cover on, but do not tighten it down.
Install the harmonic balancer.
Tighten the timing cover bolts.
Install oil pan.
This sequence allows the front oil seal in the timing cover to "find it's center" on the harmonic balancer- there's not a lot of wiggle room, but it can be enough to cause premature wear of the seal. Oil pan is last, because the end seals can push the timing cover up, or not even allow the bolts to start on the timing cover if done first. It can be done, but not preferred.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS!

So you like a dry seal? He is spot on but he never said to oil it before install ..and that will burn it.
Okay, okay- I didn't say to oil or grease it, I just assumed that's a given with any seal. Like always, assume nothing. Just like putting a bit of sealer on the wet bolts of the timing cover, which nobody mentioned either... Tighten the bolts clockwise. :poke:

-
Back