318 head porting for the average joe

Small Block Mopar Engine

1. Cudafever

Cudafever Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:42 PM
    Easy? bowl blend yes, SSR well, if you say so. Personally, i would never recommend it to a beginner.
    To answer you question. because the man that designed the head was Performance minded.............the man the made the final design on the casting was Cost minded.

I can just here the argument. "Performance: YOU CHANGED MY DESIGN AND DESTROYED THE HEAD! Cost: At .420 lift it don't flow any different and it cost less to make. Performance: YOU LOST 20 CFM!!!! Cost: like i said, didn't change a thing. And i will be the one that gets a bonus for saving the company money.
    Corporate: nothing wrong with the engine SHIP!

2. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
    7:42 PM
    Yeah, I guess your right, although making W2 heads must have been a colossal bust when they could only sell them to the race teams and not put them on a production truck, and the T/A head with its unique rockers and pushrod hole that still had the same port? They could get a new rocker arm designed and produced ($$$) as well as change a production step ($) but couldnt clean up a casting mold? Corporate Chrysler when a nickle was worth a million. ....There was an in-house Ford 4cyl head that was a Cosworth killer and the production run ended up having an intake port with a 90 bend in it, as opposed to the almost 45 straight shot it was designed with for hood clearance that wasnt on the initial plans. The designer quit!

3. Cudafever

Cudafever Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:42 PM
    Now that sound just about right.
    They would have been so GREAT to have production W2 eng. but them W2 came out during the gas crunch. Everyone was looking for M.P.G. not HP. Would have been a hard sell on a 79 Cordoba......... I mean they were already tooled up. could have been easy to put into production.

• Like Like x 1
    • STRorange

STRorange Member

Local Time:
      3:42 AM
      After seeing the Engine Masters S/B stroker dyno runs with Edelbrocks, I think the iron heads are all but finished on strokers, doh...
      So when I saw a set of Brodix B1-BA come up for sale in the UK I snapped them up!
      Gonna fit some 1.60 titanium ex race valves in them and bolt on a Blower!!!
      If Folks can run mid NINES in the UK with Eddy headed 408-360 motors then I feel the EIGHT's coming into view lol...
      441cube S/B, (+100 360 with a Hughes 4.100 crank), maybe even sevens???:rofl:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    • stixx

stixx Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      3:42 AM
      Until you split the block... :wtf:

• Like Like x 1
      • Wyrmrider

Wyrmrider Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        TI on the intake
        TI on the exhaust drags only or do others have success on longevity
        I tended to use Inconel on the exhausts on turbo IDK about Mopar LA and Blower
        should not be too bad unless U have too much overlap
        keep the valves on the seats to keep them cool if you want longevity or HD use

• Agree Agree x 1
        • charles mill

charles mill Wildman68 FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          9:42 PM
          I hate to be simple. ur doing port ? udoing polish? you ask tell all of us. work on any head is not as by hand simple by hand. a good way is to have valve job done. company a good one. take heads any and u get some measuring stuf as in cooking. take this for chamber head.. valves closed heads level take and put or inject fluid into open chamber on head block side turned up and level measure. that's ccd.. do the same 4 intake port and exhaust port keep turning with valves in head. port and redo same to ck ur self.. . as good as any volume is what works. now smooth and flow cones second.

• charles mill

Local Time:
          comes second not cones thanks.

• charles mill

Local Time:
          HORSE POWER $ THE MONEY. thanks

• charles mill

Local Time:
          thanks I did this yrs ago. hay I kicked ass and won. point simple new and any head this works. WORK YES. simple kinda.

• Wyrmrider

Wyrmrider Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.