318 how much stall

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Hey Guys, i got a question for you. I got a 318 9:1 compression A904 with a shift kit, set on (Coffee spiller mode), with 3.55 in the rear. I got a stock convertor and want to spice it up. Any Suggestions on how much stall to get on the converter? This is a Daily street car/Rice eater.

Coffee spiller mode. Love it! 2500-3000 stall would be my guess. The converter companies can tell you what you need.

Coffee spiller mode. Love it! 2500-3000 stall would be my guess. The converter companies can tell you what you need.
Haha yeah the first time i drove it after, i was like GOD DAMN!, so if i have a A904 from 1970 would that be a 27 Spline converter im looking for?

You will need to get with a conv. Co. And have stall built to spec for your cam spec.
Yeah should be 27 spline
Lon

Oh yea! Dead on there. You could roll the dice and just get a converter but that could suck more than installing the wrong, and grossly wrong camshaft.

In which that’s the part that will need to be known as well as, as many facts about the engine as you can provide. This gives the converter manufacturer a better picture of what needs to be done to the converter to meet your specs and expectations for the car & it’s performance.

I have Pro Torque Literally down the street for me, so this procedure is easy. I walk in, say hello, chat up a storm, tell my car, and what I’m looking to do, presto! Bam! Done at the end of the week. Go down, pick it up, install, drive like hell. Best thing I’ve ever done for my hot rod.

Pro Torque can use your converter and other places will have them ready to be built. Check it out here; ProTorque | High Performance Drag Racing Torque Converters

I installed a 2800 on my 1973 smogger teen and I really like it. Not quite a rice-eater, but most definitely a coffee-spiller.... with the torquey factory cam.. The engine was freshened with rings and bearings etc, but no hard parts. The only non-stock 1973 items were a small-port cast-iron intake and TQ carb, plus TTIs and dual 3" pipes. Oh yeah and I upgraded the valve springs so I could push the limits of the wiener factory cam. .It has gone 5500 now, many times.That 2800 has a nice lil snap when it hits.
I ran this with the 2.74-1.54-1.00 ratios and 2.76s to 3.55s. Very nice combo, even at sub 8/1 Scr.
This TC ,I purchased in the early 80s and has followed me around from one car to another and by now, has mega-miles on it. When I bought it I was working at a trans-shop, and they called it a "Dirt-Jerker 2800"

Thanks for the responses I totally forgot to add the cam profile, 260/264 203/208 @.50 .437/453 roller camshaft

Hey Guys, i got a question for you. I got a 318 9:1 compression A904 with a shift kit, set on (Coffee spiller mode), with 3.55 in the rear. I got a stock convertor and want to spice it up. Any Suggestions on how much stall to get on the converter? This is a Daily street car/Rice eater.

I had a very similar combo for my winter engine, a few decades ago.
I installed a 2800 and would never again run anything less in a Daily street car/rice eater.
With that 2800, I also ran, every rear gear in Ma's arsenal from 2.73s to 3.91s minus 3.73s; and 4.30s besides.
My favorite was the 3.73s but not for the reason you might think, lol. My 904 had a shift kit that allowed manual shifting. So I would slam the pedal down, and upshift as quick as she'd take it and not rattle, and wait while the big Thermoquad roared, lol, I love that sound.
So what would happen is as soon as the Pedal went down, the Rpm would scoot to 2800, and pretty much stay there to 60 mph, which as you can imagine with a low-compression 318, takes a really really long time, lol.
For performance, the 4.30s were a blast, but they mostly just traded a gear away from the top to give it to the bottom and with a 2800 stall, I went thru first gear way too quickly. They were not in there very long.
The gear of choice for me was the 3.23s cuz it kept the Hiway Rs in check, plus 3.23s got me 50mph @5200 at the top of first, with tall snowtires, which is speeding almost anywhere in town.
Since you already have 3.55s, I would just leave them in there.

I found the stock cam adequate for my combo, but the stock springs are too soft. Instead of gears, install some springs to reliably get 5500. My combo has TTIs and dual 3s, so it sounds awesome with the 318 percolating to 5000/5200, sometimes 5500lol, thu the big TQ.

Did I say 2800 minimum?, I really like mine.
When I bought it in the late 70s (she's been on most of my 318s), it was sold under the name of, Dirt-Jerker. And that is just what she does. Like a big bungee cord the engine winds her up then, POW!, she hits; and the tires are gone. I love it!

But if you really want a converter, call up Neal Chance and ask for a bolt together billet aluminum one

2500-2800 is a stone stock 340 converter. In my ride, that'd get a 3500-3800 and built tight to cruise around town like a stock converter. That would set it on fire. You went "coffee spiller" with the transmission. Don't puss out on the converter.

2500-2800 is a stone stock 340 converter. In my ride, that'd get a 3500-3800 and built tight to cruise around town like a stock converter. That would set it on fire. You went "coffee spiller" with the transmission. Don't puss out on the converter.
Ahha I won’t puss promise! I might have to go custom and order to my specs the selection on line for 904 trans is weak

I like the advice and service I got from A and A. I'm running their 904 street stall max converter (2400-2600, if I'm not mistaken) and have no complaints. I know they have spicier ones on the shelf too, and reasonably priced.

I like the advice and service I got from A and A. I'm running their 904 street stall max converter (2400-2600, if I'm not mistaken) and have no complaints. I know they have spicier ones on the shelf too, and reasonably priced.
How much did that cost you?

How much did that cost you?
In April it was $561.50 shipped out the door. I sent them a core for a $100.00 credit included in price above. I bought part # 5302 SS AX. Helpful people at A&A!
318 .030 over, stock Magnum heads and rockers with Hughes 1110 spring kit using Trend .080 pushrods, 7.6:1 DCR, Hydraulic Roller 212/220@.050 .485/.506 lift 110LSA, Edelbrock Performer RPM airgap and 1450 carb
2.93 rear-end, 24" tires

Last edited:
Whats
whats the info where are they located

Haha yeah the first time i drove it after, i was like GOD DAMN!, so if i have a A904 from 1970 would that be a 27 Spline converter im looking for?
Yes, it is a 27 spline converter. From the factory, they made a high stall converter. Factory stall, 2300/2400 or so. Send you complete specs as to what you've done to the engine, intake manifold, carb size, cam profile, headers or no headers diff ratio, rear tire size and see what one of the good converter builders recommend for YOUR application. Just because the WHIZ BANG SUPERFIREBALL 3500 works for me in my application, doesn't mean it will work worth a damn in yours.
Also, when you speak to these converter builders, don't BS them about what you've got, or you will get the wrong converter for sure. JMHO

-
Back