318 is on its way out.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Had the 71 out yesterday,getting her ready for this summer.As i was backing into my drive way there a noise, a scraping sound.So removed booth belts,thinking water pump,or power steering,nope still there,check convertor bolts tight,my gut feeling is its internal.What a drag,with almost no extra money to fork out for a rebuild.total bum out.

?maybe just exhaust rubbing against driveshaft?or transmission mount bad and driveshaft hitting tunnel?

Had the 71 out yesterday,getting her ready for this summer.As i was backing into my drive way there a noise, a scraping sound.So removed booth belts,thinking water pump,or power steering,nope still there,check convertor bolts tight,my gut feeling is its internal.What a drag,with almost no extra money to fork out for a rebuild.total bum out.
No no, you should be excited. Now you get to have fun building and driving something that makes much more power and less headaches.
In my searching... I have found parts to do warmed up rebuilds for next to nothing.
Check ebay engine pro r/m bearing sets for 55.00 , I've seen pistons, rings, bearings gaskets for 175 bucks.

Just get a JY Magnum engine, or if you have the money search Craiglist for an already-built small block. I see them pop up around here from time to time and it's usually a pretty good deal since they're selling the engine for much less than it cost to build.

search Craiglist for an already-built small block. I see them pop up around here from time to time and it's usually a pretty good deal since they're selling the engine for much less than it cost to build.[/QUOTE]
This is what I did for the 360 in my Challenger. $500 for a fresh machined 360 short block, KB 107 pistons at 0 deck, XE268 Cam, Cloyes Double roller timing chain, brass freeze plugs, I removed a couple of main caps and rod caps to check bearing clearance and all was good. Came with a new timing chain cover and MP Chrome valve covers. Added my heads, intake manifold, carb, oil pan and exhaust. Broke in cam and the engine runs great. Been in the car for a little over 2 years now and close to 15000 miles.
Kevin

Were you able to further diagnose the engine noise?

-
Back