318 LA torque?

-

MoparTrucker

Reaction score
I have a 318 1983 ALL stock in my 1983 d150 it runs great for how old it is and I'm wanting to make a low end torque house engine build out of it on a rough under $2,000 budget. I'm wanting to get new cam, and possibly valve train, I don't want to go too big on heads, I was thinking the 302 swirl ports if I got new ones but i plan on doing port job on stock heads if not. I'm looking for around 300 to 350 torque to the wheels at around 3,000 rpm if that's possible for it. What should I put on it to get what I'm going for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it or not, the same HP parts for speed. Holds will also increase TQ. They work hand in hand.

Before I make a recommendation on any parts, what is your transmission, rear gears and tire size?
I’ll assume your towing with it?

the reason 318 last forever and are low power is because they are low compression

in order to make power with it, you either need to get the compression up, or use it to your advantage by boosting it

If it's just bottom end grunt you want, don't do things that move the power rpm band up.

With your budget, the best bang for the buck would be a used, running 5.2 or 5.9 magnum swap. LKQ sells them with a warranty starting about 350-400

Believe it or not, the same HP parts for speed. Holds will also increase TQ. They work hand in hand.

Before I make a recommendation on any parts, what is your transmission, rear gears and tire size?
I’ll assume your towing with it?
I'm pretty new to engine work so I couldnt say what the rear gears are but its a 4 speed manual, havent even touched it yet am still fixing some problems. tires are 31s. Yeah it'l be a tow, work, and daily driver for awhile. But I also want to have fun with it on the road.

With your budget, the best bang for the buck would be a used, running 5.2 or 5.9 magnum swap. LKQ sells them with a warranty starting about 350-400
Would running either of those stock be good enough? I thouhgt about the Magnum heads but they require the intake.

The magnum 5.2 is a significant improvement over the la 318, and the 5.9 would provide a nice torque boost, in a smooth running stone ax reliable package.

You get better sealing, lower tension rings, roller cam, and a superior cylinder head among other things.

I love building up engines but I gotta say that the above is a excellent suggestion; a 5.9 Magnum swap would put you right where you want to be. Something like 330 ft lbs torque at right where you want it. The FI and associated electronics have to come over too. There is a whole sub-forum on FABO for these swaps.

See I've looked into that swap, I guess my opinion on that is I like carburated engines because I have tried to work with FI engines it seems harder. Would the magnum take a straight carb swap and would it be worth it? If so, for the 5.9 what carb would you suggest?

See I've looked into that swap, I guess my opinion on that is I like carburated engines because I have tried to work with FI engines it seems harder. Would the magnum take a straight carb swap and would it be worth it? If so, for the 5.9 what carb would you suggest?
If you want just a good runner, you might like a 3310 750 Holley

I did a 5.9 swap in a ‘79 B body Dodge Magnum.

It was ez. I had to use a B&M flex plate for a neutral balance torque converter. You need a flywheel.
A Edelbrock RPM and a 600 AFB work excellent. With respect to 318WR, I would not use a 750.
A vacuum advance distributor and a MP chrome box ignition fired it off. That’s it, basically done. On the car I used headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust and a old OE air cleaner.

I think so very much this is a excellent option. It makes very good power and a very small cam can help the towing effort.

Last edited:
BA350686-E548-45FC-A65D-46C2BB4E66F9.jpeg
FF9D5C5A-2D12-4DFD-A7D7-88FF186D3C4F.jpeg
448A3DC0-2803-4A58-9A36-D94165514527.jpeg
ACBCC714-2E84-49D5-B941-EF7D6437B13A.jpeg

Chinese air gap intake, carb of your choice, done. You can use all the ignition components, dist ect, right from your old engine. Swap your old la timing cover on the front, and you can reuse all your original pulleys, brackets ect. You will need a little $40 cam snout extension if you want to run your mechanical fuel pump.

Ahhhh, good point! I didn’t swap the front of the engine. I used the Magnum cover forwards. This required an electric fuel pump. I used Edelbrock’s electric duel pump designed for carbs, no regulator needed. Just the fuel pump and install kit. (Regulator)
Also ez to do.

Or do like rumble, run a electric fuel pump, and you get the bonus of a much better alternator, and a serpentine belt setup, by keeping the magnum front accessory stuff

Okay that sounds nice, more on the swap side of things, I've heard of mini turbos but are there any that can give boost at low levels of rpm? I'd like to play around with some engine building either way, so what about a 5.9 mag w/ new valve springs? Also is the heads on it good leaving stock? Would porting need done or replacing

Don't forget the flywheel if you do the 5.9 Magnum.
And your 4 speed if original is probably an overdrive.
Crawl under there and see if the tag is still on one of the diff. cover bolts, might give you the axle ratio.

SP-2P intake, RV cam and and an 1850. Nothing over 4000 RPM. You already have the 4sp. That combo is about $200 bolted on if you can find the intake. You are selling him on a stroker for under 2K? :eek:

agree on the 5.9 magnum swap
hard to make a 318 torquer to match for same $$$
dual plane manifold (can a LA manifold be made to fit?) and AVS carb if you go carb
next bang for your buck would be smaller long tube headers
magnum already has a torque cam so just a timing set till you run it
new valve stem seals while it's out and check the springs (should be ok for stock cam but check)\
Stroker is a budget buster and I'd start with a 360 in any case

fresh valve job should be in your budget- multiangle then clean up the bowl and blend is all the porting you need k line guides with the swirl cut work well
but if your compression test passes you can defer the valve job
(pay me now- pay me later)
If you need new valves- in the lift range you have to work with
take 2.02 and cut them down and put a 30 degree seat on them (with a back cut)
you get a lot more curtain area at these cam lifts without duration that kills your low end
but if your valves are fine- and they will be- just save idea for rebuild time
nothing magical about 45 degree seats

Last edited:
5.2 Magnum swap wouldn't be 2 grand... get one in good shape for a few hundred bucks, intake manifold is another couple hundred, maybe $100-200 for a decent 4-bbl carb. Everything else will swap over from your LA engine. I haven't messed with a stick-shift one but I'd assume it would be easy to just put the LA clutch, flywheel etc. on there as long as the Magnum crank is drilled for a pilot bushing/bearing. Might be missing some small things but I don't see it being $2000 to swap a stock Magnum converted to carb in an old truck.

-
Back