318 Oil Pan Gasket...Should I cut off the ears?

-

JeffreyLee

1965 Barracuda
Reaction score
Simple question for you guys I'm sure. I have the engine out of my car and about to re-install into my 65 Barracuda. I removed the rope style rear main seals and replaced them with new fel-pro seals...rubber. The top seals have these rubber "wings" that hang out into the area where I am installing a fel-pro cork gasket. Question is: Do I cut off the wings in order for the gasket to sit flush with the block or do I put the gasket on top? Seems like an obvious choice, but if it is, why are these wings there in the first place? Thanks!
unnamed.jpg

What does the gasket look like ? It should have a slot in it that goes around the plug. Take a picture of the gasket.

The gasket is just flat, with a squared off end that fits up against the collar. Also, the half circle rubber seal attached to both ends of the oil pan with the nubs...is flat, with no notch to accommodate the bump that would be created by the wing sitting underneath it.
oil pan timing gasket.jpg

Overlap the rubber and cork gasket and put some RTV on the area where they meet/overlap...

I have always cut those off with a razor. Not sure if that is correct? But I've done it that way for a long time. I just use RTV at that spot.

Yep, cut them off with a razor. I use a dab of rtv at all 4 corners, never had any problems.

I use Gray RTV, it is the best for oil, I have never had a leak.

I would cut them off and use the Right Stuff sealant, I gave up on rtv along time ago

No it isn't, RTV only applies to silicone based sealers and The Right Stuff isn't silicone based

RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanize and has nothing to do with silicon. Just so you know. Tire patches are vulcanized to the tire using a chemical and a natural rubber patch.

RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanize and has nothing to do with silicon. Just so you know. Tire patches are vulcanized to the tire using a chemical and a natural rubber patch.
If you read up on the right stuff it doesn't volcanize, but that would take an effort being put out by you

Vulcanize is a process of turning soft liquid rubber to a hard rubber by heat or by a chemical reaction. RTV room temperature vulcanizing uses the moisture in the atmosphere to cure the rubber. It's a chemical reaction.

Permatex markets Right stuff. According to the data sheets Permatex publishes, there is no silicone in Right Stuff. They list rubber, carbon black and one or two others I do not remember. But there is no mention of silicone.

Permatex markets Right stuff. According to the data sheets Permatex publishes, there is no silicone in Right Stuff. They list rubber, carbon black and one or two others I do not remember. But there is no mention of silicone.

Once again RTV does not mean silicon.

-
Back