318 oil pump replacement

-

SOUPENE

Reaction score
The oil pump went out on me yesterday.i have a 74 duster with a 904 auto i just had the engine out about a month or two ago to do a freshen up and tune up on it and i decided to go on a madin voyage yesterday to the gas station and i noticed it went from 25 psi to 0... What can cause an oil pump to go out? I should have changed it out when i had the motor out but i figured it would be fine. It was working ok when i pulled the motor than it started to only give me about 25 to 30 pounds at about 30k rpm's and now nothing?????wtf...and it looks like its going to be a pain in the *** too pull the oil pan with these damn hooker long tube headers in the way not to mention the tranny cooler lines are in the way too aggghhh is there an easy way to get the pan out without pulling half the engine apart?

1st thing is pull the intermediate shaft out and check to see if did not strip out...the shaft has a hex end that turns the shaft

just remove distributor and use large screw driver...turn intermediate shaft clockwise...it will walk up the gear on the cam...

PLEASE...make note of where the rotor is pointed and where the slot is point on the shaft..

The oil pump may not be at fault, the intermediate shaft may have sheered/striped. Remove the distributor and then intermed. sgaft with a BIG screwdriver and inspect.

Yea, I have done this before. First step;

1; Loosen header flanges.

2; Raise car high and support on jack stands and chok rear wheels.

3; Loosen exhaust pipe, possible disconnect from header.

4; Loosen drivers motor mount

5; Floor jack and a block of wood under the front of the engine. I put it at the balancer to tilt the engine to get those super tight bolts behind the mount.

6; unbolt pan and remove.

Ok i just got the pan off the motor and it looks like the pick up tube was clogged with orange paint ouch!!!! The intermediate shaft was still good thank god oh and the pick up tube was only finger tight soo damn this was all my fault thats the last time i ever try to put an engine together while drinking too much coronas ha ha.... Now reinstalling the pan is gonna be a bieotch!!!!! Wish me luck :)

Ok i just got the pan off the motor and it looks like the pick up tube was clogged with orange paint ouch!!!! The intermediate shaft was still good thank god oh and the pick up tube was only finger tight soo damn this was all my fault thats the last time i ever try to put an engine together while drinking too much coronas ha ha.... Now reinstalling the pan is gonna be a bieotch!!!!! Wish me luck :)

did you paint the inside of the pan or block? I know this is a common practice, just wondering if it backfired in this case.

did you paint the inside of the pan or block? I know this is a common practice, just wondering if it backfired in this case.
you know not really just when i was painting the block and heads i did get some paint on the rockers and a lil on the heads where the intake bolts up too.. I places a towel in the oil valley so i wouldnt get any on the cam or where the lifters go .. So idk i guess thats where it came from.

-
Back