318 passenger side manifold heat riser?

-

1973dust

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if all small-block manifolds came with a heat-riser valve from the factory?
Engine is from a 74 Valiant 4-door originally sold in Mississippi. The manifold appears to be cast to have a heat riser but there is no spring or counterweight and I can't see any evidence of a shaft on the front or rear. Looks like it was never machined. I'm second-guessing whether or not there was a butterfly in the manifold when I put the duals on and I'd rather not pull the manifold to find out.

1968-72 has heat riser valves for sure, don't know about other years. If there is no shaft, I can't see how the flapper would still be in. IMHO - GOOD RIDDANCE !!! I would bet what a former owner or mechanic did was do away with it and weld the holes shut, which is what I have done to every small block manifold that I've had. Pulling the manifold would not be needed to answer your question, just drop the head pipe enough to look or feel around inside.

could have had a valve in a 2" casting between the manifold and pipe
go electric
be happy

By go electric, I assume you mean choke. Absolutely, I don't intend to have the butterfly in there. I guess I'll just have to drop the pipe and see for sure.

-
Back