318 Piston identification

-

C2ndLTpigeon

Mopar or no Car!
Reaction score
Tore down my 318 engine and need help identifying the pistons. I assume since they are Chrysler pistons these might be standard bore still? Here is a picture of the part number.

103621313_1778247195646546_4455440268794196388_n.jpg

Oversized pistons are generally stamped on the head with their specs. You can also use a micrometer, caliper, or dial indicator to check the size of the piston and bore.

Oversized pistons are generally stamped on the head with their specs. You can also use a micrometer, caliper, or dial indicator to check the size of the piston and bore.
I figured this as well when I cleand the top off one of them I saw no markings just wanted to be sure they were stock by part number. Thanks

By the number, I'd say mid 70's
This engine came out of my 73 valiant, cast year on the block is 74 so it was replaced at one time. Prev owner said it was rebuild and shows signs like it was but I am freshening it up anyway since you never know how good of a job someone does when they say its been "rebuilt".

This engine came out of my 73 valiant, cast year on the block is 74 so it was replaced at one time. Prev owner said it was rebuild and shows signs like it was but I am freshening it up anyway since you never know how good of a job someone does when they say its been "rebuilt".

In my experience, you want to go through it yourself. Not many are really good at rebuilding engines and cheap out buying parts for the short term.

In my experience, you want to go through it yourself. Not many are really good at rebuilding engines and cheap out buying parts for the short term.
T
This would be the 8th engine ive rebuilt, and 2nd 318, last one I rebuilt was for my wife's Fifth Avenue the rest were 4 cylinder engines. I just hate when someone trys to make a sale on "rebuilt engine" and it could of been redone by some idiot that shouldn't be rebuilding engines. Ive ran into that before. better safe than sorry.

As long as parts are still in spec to my factory manual and no signs of cracks or other damage, clean them up and reuse.

I was good at knowing what to keep and what to replace. Messed up a couple times, but they were SBC, and I should have known better. Maybe I'll post a "how to rebuild a motor on the cheap" that will last and make decent power. But I measured everything and thoroughly cleaned every nook and passage. In my experience, I usually pass if anyone touches an engine. Most do more harm than good.

Piston and rods I will reuse, Valves inspect and reuse. My springs, lifters an cam are a matching whiplash kit.

Thing I always change are bearings, rings, core plugs, head bolts, water pump, fuel pump. But there are people on a budget that reuse rings and bearings and that's kind of sketchy.

-
Back