318 Power, with real street manners ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I've built many engines. Some full race, others mostly stock. Thinking of building a small block (maybe a 318, since I've got one). How much power/torque is possible, and still having real streetable manners & drivebilty ?
No stupid shaking your teeth cam. No watch the temp gauge every minute. No stupid mufflers (flowMaster type) , so that you can't talk to the passengers. And it would be nice if it got "fair MPG"
Or would a guy be better off starting with a 360 ? Would be nice to run mid 14 seconds.
This would be in a 3600lbs car. And would perfer to use a 998/999 with the low gear set. And probably a Lockup converter (mileage thing).
So how would you build this combo ?

half of what you want comes from your running gear (tranny, rear gear) rather then your engine

Subscribed. It's pretty easy to build a 300 horse 318. Like @diymirage just said, the combination is the direction you need to go. As you probably know, The more horse the further away from "street manners" you get and everybody has a different opinion on what the street manners limit is. If you are planning on a mild 318 with stock converter and say 3:23 gears, You can use a cam with around 220° @ .050 duration, 4 barrel and intake to match, small tube headers and a nice 2 1/4" exhaust. With your choice of o/d or lock up tranny you should be able to get close to 20mpg hwy and probably run in the 14's or faster on the strip.

Take a look at this article “ LA Confidential Mopar”
You can google it.
Its an enginemasters 318 motor i bought and stuck in a flat hood, all steel 71 Duster, full factory bench seat interior
I ran a 231-238 hydralic cam in it, not the flat tappet in the article. Drove it everywhere, only ran 4.10 gears. Went 11.60’s with my 315 pound butt in it, shifting at 6200

Take a look at this article “ LA Confidential Mopar”
You can google it.
Its an enginemasters 318 motor i bought and stuck in a flat hood, all steel 71 Duster, full factory bench seat interior
I ran a 231-238 hydralic cam in it, not the flat tappet in the article. Drove it everywhere, only ran 4.10 gears. Went 11.60’s with my 315 pound butt in it, shifting at 6200
This one? A roller cam Magnum is a plus. Iron-Headed Mopar 318 Magnum Engine- Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Yep, thats the one. No roller cam. They dyno’ed it with a solid flat tappet. I ran it with a smaller hydralic cam( not a roller)
The block was zero factor in how it ran, other than attention to detail in the machining and the trick lightened crank.
Revved like a chain saw
An LA 318 block with moderately ported eddies might run better( lighter)
Those heads only went low 270’s at 600

Yep, thats the one. No roller cam. They dyno’ed it with a solid flat tappet. I ran it with a smaller hydralic cam( not a roller)
The block was zero factor in how it ran.
I'll have to read and study. Thanks.

I've built many engines. Some full race, others mostly stock. Thinking of building a small block (maybe a 318, since I've got one). How much power/torque is possible, and still having real streetable manners & drivebilty ?
No stupid shaking your teeth cam. No watch the temp gauge every minute. No stupid mufflers (flowMaster type) , so that you can't talk to the passengers. And it would be nice if it got "fair MPG"
Or would a guy be better off starting with a 360 ? Would be nice to run mid 14 seconds.
This would be in a 3600lbs car. And would perfer to use a 998/999 with the low gear set. And probably a Lockup converter (mileage thing).
So how would you build this combo ?

Understand completely, and kind of where i am.
  • mid 14's is noth'n for either motor (360 or 318)
  • 360 will get you more power, but may pinch the mpg just a little
  • no headers, rough idle cams, steep gears or high stall converters needed for mid 14's
here is my combo at the present in one of my Dusters:
  • stock long block 360. Added a action plus with 770 holley street avenger and a .427/.454 lift cam 204* @ 050 (idles smooth as a 318 2bbl cam)
  • Stock exhaust manifolds with 2.5 duals
  • 2.45 gears / Stock converter and stock 904
  • guessing 3300 lbs (soon to weigh it)
  • Ran 14.14 at 97 mph. just got the build up and going at the end of last year. Looking to go 13's by tuning....

Funny thing about that little motor. Played around with carbs quite a bit. It was a little more than a tenth quicker with a good 950 on it than any 750 was.
Have yet to see a fairly stout smallblock that didnt pick up at the track with a bigger carb on it. Ever.

Funny thing about that little motor. Played around with carbs quite a bit. It was a little more than a tenth quicker with a good 950 on it than any 750 was.
Have yet to see a fairly stout smallblock that didnt pick up at the track with a bigger carb on it. Ever.
Agree but oops, there goes the mileage.

Any car i have is never strictly a daily driver. My very last consideration is fuel economy.... lol
Especially if it drinks pump gas
Agreed but it sounds like the OP is looking for a little of both.

I've said on this site numerous times, in my opinion, it's almost impossible to overcarburate a small block mopar

I think a 4-inch crank would get you there pretty easily.
If he (or anyone) needs a 4" crank to go 14's, that guy will not be allowed within 20 ft of my car.... STAY BACK and DON"T TOUCH!
:rofl:

Agreed but it sounds like the OP is looking for a little of both.
Not looking for 20+mpg, but don't want to feed something that get 10mpg or less. Would like to take it to the track a couple times a season. But don't plan to spend every weekend their (done that long ago/ no more).

Last edited:
My point more was to do it with the ease that he talked about doing it with.
I'm having trouble saying "14's and 4" crank" in the same sentence.... unless he lied and actually is building a Dually? LOL...
:poke:

Not looking for 20+mpg, but don't want to feed something that get 10mpg or less. Would like to take it to the track a couple times a season. But don't plan to spend every weekend their (done that long ago/ no more).
i would think 17-18 mpg and low 14's without the rumble of a large cam/headers is very doable. I haven't checked my gas mileage yet, but i would guess I'm around the 18 mpg mark with my 360 Duster. Actually, i'm going to go to 2.94 gears eventually, because the 2.45's are just too tall, and my car really will never see a interstate. I think just 2.94's without any other changes puts me easily into the 13's.
Have you thought of a 318 magnum? 300 bucks is norm around here for a good running one, and add a carb/360 car pan and drop it in. Should push well into the 14's without batting an eye

I'm having trouble saying "14's and 4" crank" in the same sentence.... unless he lied and actually is building a Dually? LOL...
:poke:
I've always wondered just throw a 4-inch crank in there in the correct pistons and what would happen.? Nice quiet manners and step on the pedal and yee ha

I've always wondered just throw a 4-inch crank in there in the correct pistons and what would happen.? Nice quiet manners and step on the pedal and yee ha
i imagine the bottom end torque would do spine adjustments :D

i imagine the bottom end torque would do spine adjustments :D
I just wonder instead of any cam adjustments and he had work any carburetor tuning any headers anything. Just put a 4-inch crank and pistons. that expense only and see what that would get you?

-
Back