318 race engine 4104230-318 any info. on these engines?

-

74scamp360

Reaction score
Hey guys i recently bought a 74 scamp and along with it came a 318. thinking that it was just the run of the mill smogged up 318 i put it on the garage floor and began my search for a bigger and better 360. I got bored one day and decided to look at the casting number on my 318 to see what it came out of and what time period it was made. The number on the side reads 4104230-318-11 and when i did some more reaserch it turns out that it should be a 318 race engine. I personally know nothing about these 318 race engines and I havn't been able to find anyone who does. Lemme know if you guys know any info on them, it would be appretiated. Thanks

Where are you researching this? Just curious because I've never heard of a 318 race engine. I've read just about everthing Mopar related I could get my hands on for years and have never heard of it. But, that doesn't mean one wasn't produced. Either a 340 or a 360 was available every year the 318 was produced.

it should have an R or an X or R3 cast onto the front of the engine or possibly will have the mopar logo on the side what are the numbers stamped on the little pad right above the oil pan rail you may have to clean it off or scratch the paint to read it if you can get me that number i can tell you exactly what it is

the X blocks used the 318 casting number and came with 3.91 bore...

they will have a large X near where the oil pickup tube ....

it will also come with 4 bolt mains......

alright i'll check that out. What are these motors though like it says race motors does that mean nascar, drag race like what kind of application were they used for.

the x block was designed for racing...nascar or drag racing...

the block does not know if it going in circles or straight down the strip...

several weeks ago...someone had a 318 race motor for sale in craigslist and he had those same casting numbers...i called him up and he live only a couple of miles away..went over and looked at it...and it was a 318...did not have X cast in front of motor..I told him it would also have 4 bolt mains...

he said he would drop and the pan and call me if it had 4 bolt mains...i never got the call....

to 1qwikscamp i see the pad that you are talking about right above the oil pan but there is nothing on it???? And i don't see an X, R or R3 or the mopar logo on it. also the timing cover is off it right now but i could only feel 2 bolts on the crank not 4. Any help????

its probably your run of the mill 318 diss reguard the pic i had something to say with it but i need to make sure on my facts first and i dont know how to delete the pic sorry

100_0883.jpg

ya well what i was thinking is maybe it was a waranty block possibly, that got stamped as a race engine. the last of the VIN isn't stamped on it anywhere so it obviosly wasn't built for a specific vehicle. Is that possible??

well that's exactly what i thought but what puzzles me is why there is no VIN stamped on the block and why the casting number says that it is a race block. I think that maybe it was a waranty block that was ordered from mopar performace possibly, not a race motor as much as a replacement. Thanks for your time guys it's greatly appretiated.

x block share the same casting number as a 318...so the casting number does not make it a x block...

x blocks were casted by chrysler where the 318s were being casted...aka same casting number...

I think only Journals 2, 3 & 4 had 4 bolts. 1 and 5 would be 2 bolt, so even on a "4 bolt main" block all you would feel would be 2 bolts from the front timing cover.

o really well that makes it different unfortunatly my engine stand is occupied right now with a 400 that i'm pullin apart but ya i can only feel the front journal so that's a possibility, thanks Steve

Put the part number(4104230) in your Google search box. There is a site that has the number listed. Looks like it's a plain ol' 318. toolman

I'm trying to find my source for this but I have 2 of the same engines:

on ends on 2, the other on 8.

The last number refers to the series in the casting, the amount of replications of the origional cast, so in your case it was the 11th copy.

If I'm not mistaken these are standard 318's out of a truck from 81 to 84.

BUT supposedly they come with factory flat tops specifically for the truck application. Willing to pull one of your heads to check for both of us?

Mine are both in cars and running ;)

I'll post that site as soon as I find it again...

I know for sure I read somewhere that these engines had flat top pistons in them...though I can't find that source and if that was so it seems they'd be more wanted....

Anyway, a little searching yielded this:

which can be found http://sittingfox.tripod.com/smallblkcompare.htm just scroll down half way...the the 318 is the cui and the last number the replica of the origional cast i believe....

1981-’84 CAR AND TRUCK
This block was identical to the earlier one except that the hole for the brace on the left side was moved forward one inch (to 10˝) so that it would clear the bigger starter motor. Most of these blocks had a boss with room for both holes, but they were not always drilled. These engines all came with flat tappet cams. Look for casting number 4104230 or 4179730.

well that's exactly what i thought but what puzzles me is why there is no VIN stamped on the block and why the casting number says that it is a race block. I think that maybe it was a waranty block that was ordered from mopar performace possibly, not a race motor as much as a replacement. Thanks for your time guys it's greatly appretiated.

Try looking for stamped number on flat spot below drivers head front behind power stering pump on block.

The closest thing to a 318 race engine from the factory that I'm aware of would be the 1953 290 HP dual quad poly head 318... :cheers:

The "X" block DID NOT use the same casting as the 318, at least not internally. They had much thicker cylinder walls, deck surfaces and main webs. The outward dimensions of the casting may have used a production 318 pattern and mold (hence the 318 part number cast into the side), but the inner molds and cores were different. They were also machined on 318 tooling with the smaller journals and a 3.91" rough bore. Like the T/A blocks, the main webs were thick enough to allow for 4-bolt mains, but the outer bolts may not have been drilled.

The lack of a VIN number stamped on the pan rail would indicate a replacement block, but this does not guarantee its an "X" block.

-
Back