318 to 360 conversion engine mounts needed

-

Bob Wilkie

Reaction score
What are the best engine mounts to put a 1989 360 (408 stroker) in my 1970 Dart after I remove the 318 that's in it now?

I will be running TTI headers and exhaust and keeping the power steering and power brakes. My research tells me the best option is to use the Schumacher A67LA mounts, but I can't find them anywhere. It also looks like Motech Performance bought out Schumacher last summer 2021 so I don't know if that effects availability of the parts.

I will also post a wanted post for the mounts.

You need about 3 washers between the rear mounting ear of the 360 block and the drivers side 318 mount to do it. Super easy. The photo is a stock 318 truck mount being used on a 360 Magnum. Same as 360 LA.

Cley
Screenshot_20220703-092914_Gallery.jpg

You need about 3 washers between the rear mounting ear of the 360 block and the drivers side 318 mount to do it. Super easy. The photo is a stock 318 truck mount being used on a 360 Magnum. Same as 360 LA.

Cley
View attachment 1715951111

I have done that very thing many times, and it works perfectly and is so simple to do. BUT, be prepared for the self-appointed smartest guy on the board to show up and poo poo the idea!

I forget what the difference was between the 318 mount and the 360 one. My son has a 72 C body wagon project that has it's original 360 short block in but has been sitting with no heads on it for who knows how many years before he got the car.

. Can only move crank to move pistons ~1/4" in their bores even with a "cheater" pipe, bores are rusty.
Yes we have been soaking them

We didn't get any heads, or manifolds, with the car.
He just wants to drop something into it to get it mobile under its own power "for now" so he bought back one of my old trucks from my cousin for the 318 that's in it, because he knows exactly what I put into that engine when I had it It did a great job in that truck, which is an 83, 3/4 ton. He wants to put my old 318 into that body. I know about the balance difference, between 318-360.
I have a couple of 360 magnums here, I believe his plan is to eventually build up one of those, for this Fury wagon. Or possibly the original short block, as a basis for a new engine /eventually.
What is needed for the driver side motor mount to drop a 318 in where a 360 was? .
We don't want to destroy the original 360 one so we can use it on the new motor once built up.

Use the 360 mount and put it behind the ears on the 318 block. You will have to use spacers washers on both bolts towards the front of the engine if I remember right. It should look like the pic Cley posted above, but with the washers on the front bolts.

Use the 360 mount and put it behind the ears on the 318 block. You will have to use spacers washers on both bolts towards the front of the engine if I remember right. It should look like the pic Cley posted above, but with the washers on the front bolts.
That's what I did on my LA 360 and now my Magnum 360 using 318 mounts. No issues.

That's what I did on my LA 360 and now my Magnum 360 using 318 mounts. No issues.
in my son's case he is wanting to use the 360 mounts he has, to (temporarily) bolt in a 318. Opposite what you guys are talking about.

-
Back