318... to stroke or not to stroke???

-

sport74

Reaction score
I have a 318 that i have been ordering parts for. I have already bought numerous parts already so the " buy a junkyard 360" part is out of the question. I have a set of EQ heads with 2.02\1.62 valves, a 275/287 duration .525 lift cam, and 9.5:1 flat top 30 over pistons with valve reliefs. I have found a 4.000 stroke crank for $315 and was planning re using my rods anyway. Would that crank be a good idea or will it not work with what I have already bought?

I have a 318 that i have been ordering parts for. I have already bought numerous parts already so the " buy a junkyard 360" part is out of the question. I have a set of EQ heads with 2.02\1.62 valves, a 275/287 duration .525 lift cam, and 9.5:1 flat top 30 over pistons with valve reliefs. I have found a 4.000 stroke crank for $315 and was planning re using my rods anyway. Would that crank be a good idea or will it not work with what I have already bought?

um...they happen to be STROKER pistons ment for a 4" stroke crank....if not well....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/search.php?searchid=7961840

Just for curiosity's sake what is the difference between stroker pistons and non strokers?

Different compression height--the distance from center of pin bore to piston crown.

A 318 to 390 stroker piston will have a shorter CH...by about .340" depending on the piston mfr.

42 cubes difference in the 318 and 360 but only 18 cubes difference between a 390 and 408 stroker. Not that much difference. If the guy has the parts let him go for it. He might come up with a screamer of a combination that we will all want to duplicate. I have a 85' roller block that is just screaming for a 4" crank. If I just had a 64 Dart to put it in. lol
tmm

If I was to build a 318 it would be cause of the short stroke, if you want a stroker I'd go 360 for a 408.
But since you already got pistons a 318 (323) is your only choice. Just got to run a little more gear to make up the lack of bottom end.

Decided to go 402 stroker...... will begin the teardown next week and keep everyone posted as to the progress. .... anyone care to take a stab at how many horses it'll make?

Decided to go 402 stroker...... will begin the teardown next week and keep everyone posted as to the progress. .... anyone care to take a stab at how many horses it'll make?

Only two accurate ways to find out...and they both begin with the letter d....

Oh it's definitely going to dyno.... It's one of those "guess how many peanuts are in the jar" kind of things, fun to guess but only one way to find out

Watching this thread with anticipation as I too have a 318 installed and currently putting out 350 ponys or so I am told by the owner I just bought it from that he said he dynoed. Ya know how that goes and I'm still running cast iron manifolds. Everything else I own has headers but I am really trying like hell to stay away from the header route on my 65 for clearance reasons and all the headaches associated with headers on these early cudas. Am I out of my mind thinking I can make HP on a 318 with cast iron manifolds?

Inkjunkie called it...and we'll have no idea of how much it'll make until you finalize the parts. Do you plan to use the same heads and cam with the stroker?

Depending on your desired outcome, it may limit your top end...that cam and top end will likely top out before it would with a 318 because of the longer stroke.

What are you trying to accomplish with your car? Street bruiser? Strip terror? Bracket car driven on the street?

Stroke it baby... :burnout: ...then tell everyone they just got beat by a 318!

Paul

It's not 318 anymore when you bore and stoke it to a 402
If that is the plan now, why not get a 408 kit and a 360 block, instead of boring the 318 .090" ?

-
Back