318 won't crank over- trouble shooting suggestion?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I suspect it's the starter...but I'm not sure where to begin.

This engine with 140k has sat for many years and is destined to be pulled in favor of a 340 or 360 (and possibly rebuilt) but I'd like to get it running again so I can at least move the car around if not drive it short distances in the mean time.

Last time it ran, it spewed coolant, (hopefully through a blown freeze plug rather than a cracked block)...and it was shut down before it cooked itself (or at least I assume).

I charged the battery and tried jumping it... but turning the key does nothing. Other electricals are working -horn, wiper, headlights, etc. but no motion reaction from the starter. Turning the ignition does put a heavy a load on the battery though.

What would you do next? Does this sound like a seized motor or merely a bad starter?

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Mike

I suspect it's the starter...but I'm not sure where to begin.

This engine with 140k has sat for many years and is destined to be pulled in favor of a 340 or 360 (and possibly rebuilt) but I'd like to get it running again so I can at least move the car around if not drive it short distances in the mean time.

Last time it ran, it spewed coolant, (hopefully through a blown freeze plug rather than a cracked block)...and it was shut down before it cooked itself (or at least I assume).

I charged the battery and tried jumping it... but turning the key does nothing. Other electricals are working -horn, wiper, headlights, etc. but no motion reaction from the starter. Turning the ignition does put a heavy a load on the battery though.

What would you do next? Does this sound like a seized motor or merely a bad starter?

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Mike

Does the starter solenoid click at all? If it buzzes, it's probably the starter, the solenoid is not engaging properly. If it clicks once then nothing it's probably the battery. Even though you charged it, it may have a bad cell, may need a long trickle charge and/or replacement. Can you swap in a known good battery?

On the mechanical side, can you turn the motor over with the crank? If you can, it's probably an electrical problem.

Does the starter solenoid click at all? If it buzzes, it's probably the starter, the solenoid is not engaging properly. If it clicks once then nothing it's probably the battery. Even though you charged it, it may have a bad cell, may need a long trickle charge and/or replacement. Can you swap in a known good battery?

On the mechanical side, can you turn the motor over with the crank? If you can, it's probably an electrical problem.

Thanks for the suggestions!! The battery was reasonably new...and I think that adding in the jump start would probably make up for a weak cell, though I will want to get a completely new battery for this car anyway so I might as well get it now.

I'll give cranking it over with a wrench a try! I have never done this before...

...but I assume I will have to pull the fan and the plugs, and get a socket on the end of the crank shaft, right?

From there, I assume I will have to rotate it clockwise while (facing the engine)...is that right?

Thanks for the suggestions!! The battery was reasonably new...and I think that adding in the jump start would probably make up for a weak cell, though I will want to get a completely new battery for this car anyway so I might as well get it now.

I'll give cranking it over with a wrench a try! I have never done this before...

...but I assume I will have to pull the fan and the plugs, and get a socket on the end of the crank shaft, right?

From there, I assume I will have to rotate it clockwise while (facing the engine)...is that right?

You don't have to pull the fan or plugs to rotate the engine. Just get a socket on the damper bolt and turn it clockwise. You can probably reach it from under neath if there are things in your way. You'll need a breaker bar or a long handled ratchet but you might be able to do it some other way as long as you have enough leverage.

You don't have to pull the fan or plugs to rotate the engine. Just get a socket on the damper bolt and turn it clockwise. You can probably reach it from under neath if there are things in your way. You'll need a breaker bar or a long handled ratchet but you might be able to do it some other way as long as you have enough leverage.

Excellent! Thanks so much for your help!

I'll give this a try when I get home from work...assuming I have a large enough socket. :)

i would jump it at the starter relay first. make sure you have power there. if you have power at the relay and it doesnt crank then its going to be something with the starter, given your battery to block to body grounds are solid and you have a fully charged battery. the starter relay needs to see a ground whether it be the nuetral safety switch, seatbelt interlock (74 and up) or the clutch safety switch. if any one of those are no good, you will not have power at the key.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 149
i would jump it at the starter relay first. make sure you have power there. if you have power at the relay and it doesnt crank then its going to be something with the starter, given your battery to block to body grounds are solid and you have a fully charged battery. the starter relay needs to see a ground whether it be the nuetral safety switch, seatbelt interlock (74 and up) or the clutch safety switch. if any one of those are no good, you will not have power at the key.

Awesome. I must have been writing my post above when you posted this. Thanks!!

Should I assume that since the ignition is putting an amp a load on the battery, this is probably not the issue?

Awesome. I must have been writing my post above when you posted this. Thanks!!

if you find that you can crank the engine at the relay, but no power to the key , it may be a couple of things like a bad relay or NSS switch at the transmission. if the car is a 74 or newer, the seatbelt interlock has a reset button on it. to find out if its something besides the relay, you can simply ground the relay to the body and bypass all of it, just remember, the starter will engage in any gear. take a jumper wire off the "G" on the relay and ground it directly to the body. if yours doesnt have a provision for a ground wire, then the relay case to the body is the ground.

Attachments

• relaycopy2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 176
  • relays.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 160
  • relay2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 154
Eliminate the easy stuff if possible. Put the car in Neutral & try to start it. May just need a simple shift linkage adjustment.

-
Back