318 wont start and backfires out the carb?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
This is strange, Im trying to hear the roar of open headders (just installed) and my 1971 dart will only pop out the carb?

I have tripple checked my plug wires and they seem ok. I had the rotor off and the cap sitting on the manifold when I raised the engine for installing the headers so I dont think I dammaged cap or rotor.

What the heck could have gone wrong?
What else may I be overlooking?

Thanks so much for all the help.

Got to be a timing issue. Did you remove the distributor for any reason? Could it have been moved by accident? You need to check the timing. Sounds like it is way off. If the distributor was removed it's easy to reinstall it 180* off. Was the rotor reinstalled correctly?

The rotor keys into the shaft and can only go on one way.
I did not remove the distributer just the cap and rotor.

Ill slap the timing light on and see where im at.

Im scratchin my head on this.

Thanks.

You had the wires off the cap it sounds like? I'd check it again. Set the engine at TDC and see which plug wire on the cap the rotor is pointing at. They might be in the right order but a spot or two off.

Yup. Look at "what you did" at the time you last ran it.

Your cap all the way on? It can be cocked and still almost run. Backfire is easy, its fire in an open intake valved chamber. Remember the rotation is CW 18436572 driver side from front 1357, pass 2468. Rotor should point toward front driver side intake bolt at #1 TDC and
Ike wire so as to let the vacuum pot point to pass side but that's not critical.

HA HA!!

You are THE MAN Lonewolf!!!

I had the dang rotor not keyed into the shaft..
rookie mistake..

Thanks again guys!!!

HA HA!!

You are THE MAN Lonewolf!!!

I had the dang rotor not keyed into the shaft..
rookie mistake..

Thanks again guys!!!

It happens. Don't ask me how I know these things!

Glad I could help you out! No go make some noise!!:burnout:

Well Fu#k..

FRICKIN thing fired right up(Sounds great!!!!) , ran some smoke off the the hedders and shut her down.
Went to restart and just cranks and cranks.

Put timing light on No1 and no light, Put light on No8 ,No light.. Put light on coil wire and some light. (3flashes stop 3 flashes stop.) so coil and MSD apear to be working.

I guess im gonna get a new cap and rotor in the AM, maybe have my coil checked and hope I can get this dam car to run/move.. Plug wires are new as are plugs..

Gonna drink on this one...

Thanks for any ideas or advice.

have you set the reluctor gap in the distributor? .007"....

If the rotor was turning ( did cause backfire ) while not properly seated on the shaft, this likely damaged rotor and cap. If one of the contacts in the cap turned 90 degrees, that could break the locator tang out of the rotor.

have you set the reluctor gap in the distributor? .007"....

Could you explain this process to me? Unsure what this is or how to do it?

Toolmanmike.
Any way to check my MSD box with out sending in?

Heading out to get a new cap and rotor now, well see if that solves my issue..

Thanks again.

Got it. The metal pickup on top of the rotor was bent down from the rotor not being set all the way down on the shaft.
A new rotor and she fired right up!!

Thanks guys!

-
Back