318LA Camshaft Retainer Bolts

-

Grumpyoldman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know the size of camshaft retainer bolts for a 318LA, diameter and length? I think they are 5/16 but no idea how long. I seem to have misplaced mine due to CRS (can't remember sh**). Or would anyone have a set they have no use for? Sure could use some help. Thanks to all.

I think they are 1/4 - 20 x 3/4" but don't have one in my hand to measure.

Now that you said it I think they are 5/16", lol. All I have to do is go out to the garage and look at a block and I could tell you for sure. I had a rough day and I'm half asleep in the recliner. I think sometimes it's better to just keep my mouth shut. LOL

The holes in the bolt are easy to drill, if you dont have a bolt with one. use a good drill press vice, along with a good drill press. I drill one for mine if the set dosnt have one.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure after I go buy new bolts, drill one, install them and finish the build I will no doubt find the ones I "lost" laying on the bench in plain sight.

nd my engine builder used to say he lost a lot of the piston pin clips as they would fly into orbit because no matter how hard he looked if one came out of the piston during assembly he would never find it. He reckoned he had been building engines for about thirty years and recond a bunch of piston clips were due to come back to earth very soon as they could only stay in orbit for so long!

Yea I drop bolts all the time some you find some never to be seen again. It's amazing, how far can they really go ? A couple years ago my mower through a belt off that drives the deck, never seen it again, looked in the trees, on the roof, I just figured I would hit it and it would get tangled up in the blades, but it's been two years.

Keep a drain pan with coolant or oil under the vehicle you are working on or next to the bench or workspace you are working on. Works like a magnet; everything falls in the drain. Does not work if drain pan is empty.

I used to work in a shop that had a four by two foot drain in the floor, that was about two feet deep directly under the center bay hoist. All the crap that ended up on the floor from oil, coolant, tranny fluid, etc ended up in there. So did an occasional bolt, nut, or widget made of unobtainium. How many times I ended up fishing something out of that cesspool, have to wash my hands and arms a good 5 or 6 times after, that was nasty, I sure don't miss it.

-
Back