318LA Myth's still being created!

-

polyjohn

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I just watched 'Tony's' wonderful video on 318 engines!

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

I just watched 'Tony's POOtube vid on the mighty 318.
Just love the folks who 'sing their praises' BUT!

He is trying to prolong the MYTH of STEEL CRANK 318's...:soapbox:

Believe it or not but there has been many, many 318 cars shipped to the UK!
Some of them were here in the 1960's and factory built by mother Mopar.

I have only ever seen ONE yes ONE 'steel crank' 318 in FORTY years...:wtf:
It was in a 1967 Charger that was a 1966 built 318 engine!

Tony is trying to sell the Myth of 67 to 70 steel crank 318's...:mob:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell Tony ''this ain't TRUE'...:thumbsup::thankyou:

Lots of 318s were steel crank engines. Unless you live under a rock.

Just put a 318 from a 67 barracuda, in my 74 duster, took block had it bored .030, and steel crank polished, block had a date of 8/26/66,,, so i know they had them in 67 ,that motor replaced a 70 model duster motor i had in the car, it was built 4 years ago, it had a forged crank in it.

I have only ever seen ONE yes ONE 'steel crank' 318 in FORTY years...:wtf:
It was in a 1967 Charger that was a 1966 built 318 engine!

OK so?? you live in Europe where there are a FRACTION of the cars and trucks Ma ever made, and YOU ONLY SAW ONE IN FORTY YEARS??????

You want some kind'o award??

I know 318's had a lot of steel cranks, I have had people tell me they had a 340 crank and when I looked at it , It was a 318 not a 340. The differences was the 340's were drilled and the 318's were not. Both steel cranks.

Found these online

100_1455.JPG

100_1456.JPG

100_1457-jpg.jpg

Ha ha, you are a funny guy!

I was in Flagstaff a few years back talking to a Jaguar mechanic in a bar about Mopars, he said “ I know jack **** about Mopar engines, and you guys know jack **** about Jaguars” true I replied.

Last edited:
I don't think I have seen any cast cranks out of any mopar engine in the 60's. They only used forged, until the 70's when they stopped making performance cars did the cast crank's start showing up.

Entertainment is finished.

318’s and 273’s got cast cranks from 1967, it don’t matter to anyone, but it’s true!

But it somehow matters to you, because you don’t believe it and
That’s how myths become real...

You're an idiot. That's what's real.

Just put a 318 from a 67 barracuda, in my 74 duster, took block had it bored .030, and steel crank polished, block had a date of 8/26/66,,, so i know they had them in 67 ,that motor replaced a 70 model duster motor i had in the car, it was built 4 years ago, it had a forged crank in it.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but.......
318 in a 67 barracuda? I thought 273 or 383 only.
Mine had a steel crank 273.

Some 318's got cast, some got forged. Just like some had 4bbl intakes, some had open chambered heads, some were painted blue, others red, some had heavy duty rods, other didn't.....

318 is a 318 is a 318.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but.......
318 in a 67 barracuda? I thought 273 or 383 only.
Mine had a steel crank 273.
Yep 273 only. 318 wasn't available until 68.
1967 225 slant 6. 273 2 barrel, 273 4 barrel Commando and the 280 horse 383

Hi Folks,

I just watched 'Tony's' wonderful video on 318 engines!

Seriously, what's more likely, that Ma MoPar made one (relatively speeking) 318 with a steel crank that you just happened to see before it disappeared into a puff of smoke as the Keebler elf scurried it away, or there are a TON of them running around, you know, cuz tooling and stuff?

SMDH...

Or my head hurts from banging it against the wall. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::rofl:

I'm changing The subject to headbanging.

A guy I grow up with, his son is the drummer in a band called Thy Antichrist. Now you can bang your head the right way, if you are into Heavy Metal Music
If not don't watch

May be the cast cranks are a UK thing? It would be nice to find factory info stating what they put a forged cranks in. The information is cloudy at best.

I did see this in the specs information on the Hamtramck site, 68-72 318's were described as having a cast steel crank. 73 and 74 brochures didn't say. Here's a screen shot of the 72 information. Sorry to spoil the fun.
upload_2021-4-2_13-10-24.png

-
Back