340/416 build

-

shootr2506

Reaction score
Hi all ,I recently got my hands on a few 340 standard bore blocks and the 30 over rotating assembly to make a 340 into a 416 stroker motor . Looking to build a street strip set up the transmission is reverse valve body 727, What heads and cam do you recommend for this motor thank you

Dont know how much money you have but i would buy the Trick Flow 190 heads...Cheaper in the long run.

Trick flow 190, victor 340, 850 carb ,Solid roller cam w/ .575-.610 lift and the rest spec'd to your gear/weight/tire/compression.

woah
what are you planning on doing with this build
lot of difference between trailer tow and bonneville

krooser has a 3/4 cam in his "can I fix this" thread
maybe even a 7/8 cam
I guess this means
how wide a torque band do you need?
which a lot depends on gears and converter
a stip build only needs what the rpm drops to after a shift
You need????
think this trough before thinking about parts

krooser has a 3/4 cam in his "can I fix this" thread
maybe even a 7/8 cam
I guess this means
how wide a torque band do you need?
which a lot depends on gears and converter
a stip build only needs what the rpm drops to after a shift
You need????
think this trough before thinking about parts
More street than strip

I generally try to get my cams for free, it really cuts down on the cost of them...

Hi all ,I recently got my hands on a few 340 standard bore blocks and the 30 over rotating assembly to make a 340 into a 416 stroker motor . Looking to build a street strip set up the transmission is reverse valve body 727, What heads and cam do you recommend for this motor thank you

Out of curiosity, what did u give for the 340 blocks ?

Trick flow 190, victor 340, 850 carb ,Solid roller cam w/ .575-.610 lift and the rest spec'd to your gear/weight/tire/compression.

That’s pretty much it in a nutshell.

Unless you plan on running tall gears and a pretty low stall converter...... then an RPM would probably make more sense for the manifold.
I’d also be okay with a solid flat tappet cam.

Thanks with putting up with the kidding
you do have a few serious responses
you cant really pick the cam till you pick the heads and compression and exhaust
or
pick the cam duration to give you the rpm you want then pick the heads and pistons
but if you already have the pistons do some compression ratio calcs with different heads
assuming close to 0 deck for some tight quench
once you go around the possibilities a couple of times you can pick a cam with your rpm desires (and axle and converter) with lots of area under the curve to get the most average torque
(race car you would be going for max toque for the rpm at the shift to top end - but that's not you.)
example
Krooser and I just ordered a custom solid lifter cam
could we have made more HP for bracket racing?
sure
but it's a circle track build and has to pull from 3000 on restarts and sometimes 3500 with traffic in a corner and if really lucky 4000-4500 on a perfect corner exit
so we have to limit our duration- sorta like an Engine Masters instead of a bracket racing build...
Turns out we can make more power past the flag stand with some higher lift rockers- but that will have to wait till next year
Finish line is at the flag stand so going faster past the flag stand is something that can be deferred :)
so what pistons (compression height) and rod length == deck clearance ( block been decked?) if higher rpm read the oil stickie
dome or dish
give all the details and the members here can be very helpfull
stuck at home- how can you tell
cheers

-
Back