340 Aluminum Edelbrock Heads & Intake Deep corroded Appearance

-

Swinger Ron

Father/Son - 1970 Dodge Swinger
Reaction score
I bought this beautiful car in the late fall. But as you can see the aluminum heads and intake have a dirty brown look when I bought it. Not sure if it came from heat, oils etc. I would like to clean them without taking the engine out. Any suggestions? Any idea how this came to be?
thanks,
Ron
IMG_4278.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

Just regular old oxidization. Aluminium wheel cleaner. Its an acid. Be carefull around other objects.

I bought this beautiful car in the late fall. But as you can see the aluminum heads and intake have a dirty brown look when I bought it. Not sure if it came from heat, oils etc. I would like to clean them without taking the engine out. Any suggestions? Any idea how this came to be?
thanks,
Ron
View attachment 1715299081

View attachment 1715299083
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mess with it myself. It's beautiful just the way it is. Well, maybe put the rest of the air cleaner on it. LOL

Yea that looks like crap. Many ways to clean it but they will never look good again without pulling them and doing it right.

Personally I’d clean as best I could and paint them engine color and be done with it

Just regular old oxidization. Aluminium wheel cleaner. Its an acid. Be carefull around other objects.

THIS... I used Eagle-1 Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner, dissolved all the nastiness off my aluminum heads and intake and after rinsing with a pressure washer they looked better than new with a fresh surface for paint to adhere to. I don't have any 'before' photos but they had lots of ugly brown-gray corrosion and oil/dirt on the cast surfaces.

20180627_110000.jpg

20180627_110127.jpg

-
Back