340 block Vin #

-
yeah, the factory did them by hand but typically they have two digits in front of the vin. Guess it depends on what year the motor is. This one appears to have been blue originally.
It has the 3 B in front just real hard to see

How much premium is he charging you for YOUR block, as opposed to any old 340 block? If its a reasonable price, okay. If he wants a gold mine for it....... is it really that important to you?
(And for what its worth, my 69 matching #s block has a perfect beautiful vin stamp......)

It's your block man....you are very lucky

How much premium is he charging you for YOUR block, as opposed to any old 340 block? If its a reasonable price, okay. If he wants a gold mine for it....... is it really that important to you?
(And for what its worth, my 69 matching #s block has a perfect beautiful vin stamp......)
$500. plus a block that i Had.. But Yes It Is Important to me because if you get Mopar Collectors guide in The Under construction . Mine was in the Oct 22 issue I It Is The what they are Calling The Holy grail of 2nd gen Dusters Its a Y28 code /sun roof /4 speed /ac .car with all the trim you could get that year

That has nothing to do with an assembly plant. The "B" is the assembly plant. LM23P is the VIN for a true 1969 x 340 Swinger. The L is on the block as well.. just so light you don't see it in that shot. They were still on full VIN's I guess when my Swinger was built. My '69 Bee only has a partial... a 69 Roadrunner A833 I have as a spare has full VIN. Depended on car line and timing as to when they started getting lazy.
its is my Block..sequnce number 34 day before car Built

car was assembled in Hamtramck . Motor were built at mound Road..
From my understanding the B (Hamtramck) in that location would match the vin of the car. The B has nothing to do with where the motor was built nor does it mean Mound Road.
r.com%2fuploads%2fworking4ev%2f2010-11-06_005033_1.jpg

OIP.jpg

Nice find! Glad you found it and I hope you got a winning lottery ticket too!!

From my understanding the B (Hamtramck) in that location would match the vin of the car. The B has nothing to do with where the motor was built nor does it mean Mound Road.
View attachment 1716056420

View attachment 1716056421
I Know that My Vin Has B for Hamtramck. My Block Sequence # Is JM =J 73 M mound Road !! Also in your Pic They Don't have the P after the 340

In this photo, anywhere it says "engine" it should say "block" and whereever you see "built" it should say "cast". Those numbers and symbols were part of the sand molds when the block was cast. Casting numbers have little to no relation to when the engine was assembed, other than being well before. I have two 340 blocks, both cast on the same day: 9/24/71. One has a 1972 VIN and the other is a '73. People who think they can nail down their car's actual block casting date when trying to find a "correct replacement" are completely delusional.

In this photo, anywhere it says "engine" it should say "block" and whereever you see "built" it should say "cast". Those numbers and symbols were part of the sand molds when the block was cast. Casting numbers have little to no relation to when the engine was assembed, other than being well before. I have two 340 blocks, both cast on the same day: 9/24/71. One has a 1972 VIN and the other is a '73. People who think they can nail down their car's actual block casting date when trying to find a "correct replacement" are completely delusional.
I'd like to see pictures of that.

I'd like to see pictures of that.
Blocks and VINs are posted here. However, I was a bit mistaken--one doesn't actually have the year stamped, only the plant and sequence number. That block could technically also be a '73.

And it happened more in the early 70's than mid 60's. And Hemi blocks are a whole nuther story!
A friend of mind owned a numbers-matching '68 Hemi Road Runner for almost 39 years--with a block cast in 1966. Since he bought the car in 1976 for $825, it's not likely someone re-stamped his block and/or transmission to add value.

Blocks and VINs are posted here. However, I was a bit mistaken--one doesn't actually have the year stamped, only the plant and sequence number. That block could technically also be a '73.

A friend of mind owned a numbers-matching '68 Hemi Road Runner for almost 39 years--with a block cast in 1966. Since he bought the car in 1976 for $825, it's not likely someone re-stamped his block and/or transmission to add valuHem

A friend of mind owned a numbers-matching '68 Hemi Road Runner for almost 39 years--with a block cast in 1966. Since he bought the car in 1976 for $825, it's not likely someone re-stamped his block and/or transmission to add value.
Hemi blocks were not cast in 1967 and most of 1968, almost all Hemi cars built up to 1969 had 1966 blocks. ALL 68 Hemi A-Body's had 66 blocks...

Been looking for my block since 1995, LS27P9B306021, you are one lucky m

Who is talking about cast # I look for Vin and sequence # and yes your 72 would have a late cast 71 and the 73 was blocks they were cleaning up around the place because it was the Last year for the Motor. I Retired from Trenton engine and seen Pallets of Blocks that were siting around for repairs, also ones that were for stock replacement that was run down the line for the Numbers thay needed

Who is talking about cast # I look for Vin and sequence # and yes your 72 would have a late cast 71 and the 73 was blocks they were cleaning up around the place because it was the Last year for the Motor. I Retired from Trenton engine and seen Pallets of Blocks that were siting around for repairs, also ones that were for stock replacement that was run down the line for the Numbers thay needed
Who was addressing you in my post? I certainly wasn't. Your problem was already solved well before that. I was simply pointing out erroneous information in a photo posted by a fellow member. It did not involve you in the least. Also, you completely missed the point that, because I have two blocks cast on exactly the same day that were possibly installed about a year apart, the so-called experts who think they can nail down a block casting date to an exact day are blowing smoke. I say "possibly" because if you'd kept reading, you'd see I later added that the "72 block" does not have a year stamped in the partial VIN, so it could also be a 1973 block.

A former local auto shop teacher worked at Hamtramck assembly from late early 1969 until the end of '72. He swore every 340 was orange. He knew--he was there. He was also wrong. So, congratulations on your retirement but sorry if I don't consider every former Chryler employee some kind of authority. It was just your source of income, not a research project. I worked in foundries for quite awhile, but I couldn't tell you a single casting number for which I made hundreds or even thousands of molds.

Just because you started a thread doesn't mean every single post pertains directly to you.

Who was addressing you in my post? I certainly wasn't. Your problem was already solved well before that. I was simply pointing out erroneous information in a photo posted by a fellow member. It did not involve you in the least. Also, you completely missed the point that, because I have two blocks cast on exactly the same day that were possibly installed about a year apart, the so-called experts who think they can nail down a block casting date to an exact day are blowing smoke. I say "possibly" because if you'd kept reading, you'd see I later added that the "72 block" does not have a year stamped in the partial VIN, so it could also be a 1973 block.

A former local auto shop teacher worked at Hamtramck assembly from late early 1969 until the end of '72. He swore every 340 was orange. He knew--he was there. He was also wrong. So, congratulations on your retirement but sorry if I don't consider every former Chryler employee some kind of authority. It was just your source of income, not a research project. I worked in foundries for quite awhile, but I couldn't tell you a single casting number for which I made hundreds or even thousands of molds.

Just because you started a thread doesn't mean every single post pertains directly to you.
Well your out here giving out info thinking you got all the answers.. and the Pics you are right . The Cast Date was the Day it was Built they are Wrong!1 But What Makes you the authority or Expert.. Compared to people that worked there Because one person? A Casting Date has Nothing to do with the Build date of motor they are there for Chrysler to keep track of there products in case they have any problems with the parts produced that day and shift So They can Pull them out . And as far as Nail down the day of cast.. hell yes you can Its on the side of the block !! And has Day & Night shift cast right on the side of it !! Also The 2-4 and Numbers like that are the Cast Mold they use to keep track of any bad Ones As far as Day Built No! I worked In the Block Line. Does the Cast Have anything to do with Vin Yes and No Because 90 % of parts have cast dates that would vary All cast were before the car was Built.. Because you cant Have a car Built 4 months Before the Block was Cast. And say it came with the car ! Do parts sit around on Pallets or in C-88 bins And could you have a 71 Block with a 73 yes.. and if you think Chrysler wouldn't use it during the last years of Motor run HELL YES They did.
I was there and did it

-
Back