340 engine block w/no serial numbers

-

1968340S

Reaction score
need some help,

I have a 1968 barracuda formula S convertible. Just pulled the engine and I looked on the front left side of the block for the serial numbers nothing but a couple scratch marks ( HAT 51331 ) I think some other than the factory left.
A1.2. was the only marks stamped in the same area below the head. The car was built in Hamtramck in August 30 1967. I've heard that early built engines in 1967 had no vin numbers. I also checked for the vin. on the block down by the oil pan. The casting number 2780930-340-2 validate that the block was 1968-1973.

The engine has heads (3671587 ) for 1973 360. I't looks like the engine had a heating problem. I pulled the intake manifold and notice that the heads coolant passage that match to the intake manifold were blocked off on the rear passages. I mean that the intake manifold at the rear has no coolant passages for the heads. The front passages match up.

I think the engine block is early model don't no, and the heads are late model
and the intake manifold I know is a early model. The heads coolant passage must need a later model manifold with rear passages,don't no.

I this makes any since I could use some advise
thanks chris

Coolant doesn't flow in the rear of the intake manifold passages on any of the small blocks. It only flows on the front of the intake to the thermostat.

not sure but i think the factory did some warranty replacement motors without casting no.s. read something like that a while back

Are you trying to figure out if it's the original engine?

Look near the bellhousing flange for any stamping, top side are edge.

Being a 68 built that early, i doubt it has a VIN stamped anywhere.

The casting date on the side will be almost a dead give away whether it's the original. You're in a VERY tight window of casting dates being one of the first two months of 340 car production.

I had a 383 that was a warantee motor. No stamp marks.

this is my first small block. I did notice the small coolant passages/holes on the head. thanks for the imformation.

Yes I was told that this was # matching car. The trans. matches the vin.
but nothing about the vin is located on the block. I did see some other numbers on the right side of the block ,date numbers you say. I saw a number of a date that ended with 70. possibly the year, can't read the month or day. I'm hope it's not a 70 year block with 73 heads.

thanks

Yes I was told that this was # matching car. The trans. matches the vin.
but nothing about the vin is located on the block. I did see some other numbers on the right side of the block ,date numbers you say. I saw a number of a date that ended with 70. possibly the year, can't read the month or day. I'm hope it's not a 70 year block with 73 heads.

thanks

Yes on the right side it should have a date code. If it ends in 70 that's not a good sign since you were told it's numbers matching. I have also heard that replacement engines weren't stamped like the other guys said but the date casting was there.

-
Back