340, How much horsepower? 1/4 mile time?

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
How much horsepower? 1/4 mile time? Here is what I have:

340, 340 steel heads with 2.02/1.60 (light weight stems), blending in the bowl area, Isky hyd. cam .505 lift, 292 dur, Rhoads lifters, Aluminum adjustable rockers, Mopar M-1 single plane intake, 1 inch Super Sucker carb spacer, 650 Holley Double pumper, steel 340 crank, stock rods, Speed Pro .30 over pistons 9.5:1, Hooker Super Comp fender wall headers.

I will also be running mopar electronic or MSD ignition, have both but have not decided yet. Also running a 4-speed, 4.10 gears with a sure grip, mopar super stock springs, and 28x9.00-14 cheater slicks out back. The car is a 1966 Valiant, all steel. Any suggestions? Thanks! Keith.

Could be as low as high 12's but probably low 13's because it takes some finess to launch a stick car.

Chuck

That is really close to my 71 dart but I won't get to try it out for a few months yet.

I'll bet you get mid to low 13's out of it and with tuning and practice you get it into the upper 12's.

sounds like a fun stret /strip car,,low tire pressure,,,leave the line around 2000/2500 rpm,,dont smoke the tires,,36 degrees total timing,,you should be able to crack in to the high 12;s but may have low mile per hour,,, that 410 gear is a little steep for that light car,, what year trans do you have?? what first gear ratio do you know???? let us know,,, sound like a fun ride

The transmission is a a833 from a 1966 Barracuda Formula S that I parted out a few years back. (don't worry, VERY, VERY rusty!) I will be rebuilding it real soon, I will probably leave the gears alone for know, I actually don't know what 1st gear it has yet. I also have a 3.91 rear I could swap in to see what difference it makes. I bought the 4.10's because the price was good.

66340SEDAN said:
How much horsepower? 1/4 mile time? Here is what I have:

340, 340 steel heads with 2.02/1.60 (light weight stems), blending in the bowl area, Isky hyd. cam .505 lift, 292 dur, Rhoads lifters, Aluminum adjustable rockers, Mopar M-1 single plane intake, 1 inch Super Sucker carb spacer, 650 Holley Double pumper, steel 340 crank, stock rods, Speed Pro .30 over pistons 9.5:1, Hooker Super Comp fender wall headers.

I will also be running mopar electronic or MSD ignition, have both but have not decided yet. Also running a 4-speed, 4.10 gears with a sure grip, mopar super stock springs, and 28x9.00-14 cheater slicks out back. The car is a 1966 Valiant, all steel. Any suggestions? Thanks! Keith.

Add a pinion snubber and a decent set of adjustable shocks and you should be good to go - 410s with 28" tires will be a good combo for the strip. probably go thru the traps at less than 6K. Run the MSD and make sure you have a set of MSD 8.5 wires. have fun - let us know what it runs.

Yes, almost forgot! I have an adjustable pinion snubber and Mopar Performance a-body drag shocks, on the front I have Competition Engineering 3-way adjustable shocks.

I will say with traction and a good tune (timing/carberation!)you should be 12.50s,as said 28in. tire and 4.10s you wont be maxed out by the traps-especially with that cam.Heck if the heads flow decent you sould see 12 teens,this is based on what the cars run around here with similar builds.For example theres a guy running a dart sport (all steel) with a non ported head 340,3.23s and a four gear running 12.90s and overall its pretty mild.

hi, low 13 sec is more close to right. it would be in the ball park as they say.
it takes suspension and traction to get it to run quicker. good luck

Wow!,I just read through the above guesses on quarter mile times-I dont know if its the air aorund here or what but cars with alot less then his combo are running high 12s.My buddys old plymouth savoy at full weight with a 360,9.1,stock smog heads unported,same cam,torker/650 holley,1 5/8 headers and 4.10s ran 13.40s @ 103 with a 1.93 60 ft.

Thanks for the responses! I will hopefully get to the track this spring and I will let you know how it runs, Keith.

-
Back