340 ID help

-

gzig5

Reaction score
Trying to nail down what my 340 came out of. On the front of the driver side of the block it has GW 340 P3307 0143 which I decode as:

G = 1971 Model Year
W = Windsor mfg plant
340 ci
P = premium fuel
3307 = born on Aug 17, 1970
143rd engine built

The number stamped on the passenger side above the pan looks like 1B149382 but I'd like some help from someone that has looked at more of these than me. I can't get a better pic at this time. If correct, what car would this likely have been installed in?

Can't discern the first number of the casting date but maybe 5 or 8. ?? 7 70

It would be cool if the original car could be reunited. The motor could be made available for that purpose.
Pics.

IMG_2670.JPG

Motor VIN.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

340s were used in A, B & E bodies for the 1971 model year.

No B bodies were produced at Hamtramck at the time, so it is from an A or E body.

Strange that is appears red, that ended in the 68 model year unless it has been tanked a repainted during it's life. Are there any signs of orange or blue?

Strange that is appears red, that ended in the 68 model year unless it has been tanked a repainted during it's life. Are there any signs of orange or blue?
In the second pic you can see what I guess is the original orange under the red.

340s were used in A, B & E bodies for the 1971 model year.

No B bodies were produced at Hamtramck at the time, so it is from an A or E body.

Can you tell from the VIN what car it was? How does that second number break down, if at all? Or is it simply a number that was assigned to that chassis?

I'm not a real numbers matching kind of guy but it would be satisfying to see it find it's way home. The original motor and trans from my car were pulled and set aside and then sold off and built. I doubt I'd ever be able to afford getting them back, and that's OK for how I plan to do the car.

The B is the assembly plant for the car it came from, that is why I referenced Hamtramck above.

I have a Registry for 1971 models from there, so in some cases I can tell what body type an engine came in for those.

I do not track the '71 models though.

A Demon, Duster, Cuda or Challenger are the only possibilities.

-
Back