340 Identification.

-

ValiantKindOfGuy

Reaction score
Hey fabo. So I bought a parts car with a 340. I have numbers on the side of the block confirming it is a 340, but there seems to be no numbers under the drivers side head. It looks like a later 340 because the balancer looks to me to be of an external balance engine. Where are the numbers? Any info on this?

FAF83A25-B358-4D5A-8598-79532B176EB1.jpeg

A009B95B-C868-4DA9-BBF8-2FE40E2E724E.jpeg

F5C5CB29-0CF1-4FDA-8B13-86367A3E7A07.jpeg

Is there a number stamped in the right side pan rail pad

That's a balancer for an internally balanced engine.
This is what an externally balanced (late '72-'73) 340 balancer looks like:
image-jpg.jpg

If it has numbers on the pan rail, which it appeared to have, the mess on the front maybe be obscuring the view. I agree, take a scotchbrite and clean it up really good. Never hurts to have a clean surface to observe and when cleaning the stamping stays filled making it more apparent.

That block has been welded??

Looks like gasket sealer that squeezed out.

The numbers at the oil pan tell you what car it came out of-it's a partial VIN number. The info you're looking for is under the head and if it's not a factory replacement block, the numbers are there. Scraping the paint off with a single edge razor blade may help reveal them.

Looks like gasket sealer that squeezed out.

The numbers at the oil pan tell you what car it came out of-it's a partial VIN number. The info you're looking for is under the head and if it's not a factory replacement block, the numbers are there. Scraping the paint off with a single edge razor blade may help reveal them.
a little sanding exposed a little bit of them. Any info on what you guys can see would be helpful since I can piece a whole number out to decode it.

F954929B-8A4B-4E09-8397-26B024410BCA.jpeg

CB941C78-DD62-47C0-8DDA-638CFF14E488.jpeg

You'll get the same answers no matter how many damn threads you post. The only way to know what you have is to take the pan off and look at the crankshaft.

You'll get the same answers no matter how many damn threads you post. The only way to know what you have is to take the pan off and look at the crankshaft.
Two different questions. Two different posts. One is about the block itself and it’s hard to find numbers, the other is balance and how to move forward on the assembly of my project.

Two different questions. Two different posts. One is about the block itself and it’s hard to find numbers, the other is balance and how to move forward on the assembly of my project.

Two different questions maybe, but both have the same answer.

I would say it's internally balanced, clean the pan rail and right down the number.

The block is a cast date of 2-8-72 which would make that a late 72 or early 73 model year engine...

Pull pan and look at crank. Sharp edges on throws means its a cast crank needing a year correct weird balancer . If it has softer rounded edges, its a forged crank and is internally balanced. Any 273-318-340 forged crank balancer will work on any stock forged crank as they were a neutral balanced motor , everything was balanced to zero so you could mix and match.

-
Back