340 in a 1966 valiant, remote oil filter woes

-
What is going on here? How do you know where to tap though the plate/etc.

I am not opposed to this at all, it gets rid of something I don't need, as I just need to get oil to/from the engine and through my remote oil filter... So I am intrigued.
The lower hole
What is going on here? How do you know where to tap though the plate/etc.

I am not opposed to this at all, it gets rid of something I don't need, as I just need to get oil to/from the engine and through my remote oil filter... So I am intrigued.
Hi. The lower hole closest to panrail is the feeder. It shuld be drilled out and tapped for an fitting. The hole directly above is the return line. It is plugged with a factory plug and is already threded.This hole is connected to the center hole that is the normal return to engine. Plug the center hole with a short appropriate bolt. There has to be some grinding done around the upper hole (return) to make room for the an fitting.but not much .There is plenty much material there so no worries.After this there is no using of any plates or stuff that comes with the relocationkit . I find they are not so reliable constructed .

Last edited:
Same Photo?

IMG_20170507_084550.jpg

Why -12? That is huge. Your fittings certainly don't look like they are AN -12. Maybe -8? The block holes need to be drilled & tapped for some size of NPT adapters to attach the AN hoses to. I do not know the exact sizes, as I'm am not sitting here looking at an LA engine block, but it's needs nothing nearly as large as an AN -12 (which is for a hose with about 3/4" I.D.).

Why -12? That is huge. Your fittings certainly don't look like they are AN -12. Maybe -8? The block holes need to be drilled & tapped for some size of NPT adapters to attach the AN hoses to. I do not know the exact sizes, as I'm am not sitting here looking at an LA engine block, but it's needs nothing nearly as large as an AN -12 (which is for a hose with about 3/4" I.D.).
Yes you are right . I´m out trucki`n now and therefor will check sizes tomorrow when in the garage. I belive it is an10 and 3/8 npt . but will check for sure tomorrow.

I have been contemplating this. It MAY, but I'm not entirely sure yet. There's just very little room. I'll try and take a pick tonight.

I have a 66 with a 340 and tti’s. Did the install 8 years ago. I used the stock 90 deg oil filter. Caveat. You need to grind the bolt head down to about a 1/4 in thick. There’s plenty of meat to get it snug. Never want to over tighten this bolt anyways. Zero oil drips and fits.

Last edited:
Hi . Tap is 3/8-18 npt. Drill is 14,5mm or 37/64 . You'll figure out the rest. And yes , it's an10 .The short bolt to plug center hole , Good luck

IMG_20181111_153227.jpg

IMG_20181111_153314.jpg

IMG_20181111_153307.jpg

Last edited:
Just be aware that the smallest restriction will be inside the 3/8" NPT to AN adapter, in the pipe thread end. It's nominally 3/8" but may be a tad larger. I've drilled them out a bit before.

-
Back