340 oil pan gasket

-

1968340S

Reaction score
I need a tip on what type of sealer to use on the rubber seals and the cork gasket that I just bought from mopar. I used Permatex #2 gasket sealant on my 440 block to keep the gasket inplace. The 340 with the rubber flap seals at the ends of the pan not sure if I use Permatex Hi-Temp Silicone let the silicone skin up for an hour then install pan or no silicone at all.

This is my first build on a small block and trying to keep away from the notorious oil leak. Any advise

THANKS CHRIS

Used Mopar 5010884aa ATF RTV.Sealed good.I had to do it twice do to
the oil filter adapter leaking and thinking it was the oil pan.I skim coated
everything.

I used the blue silicone, Permatex I believe, seemed to seal better than the others?? Concentrated on the corners. I love that gold convertible of yours!

I actually use black weather stripping adhesive to glue the gaskets to the block/pan and after letting them set up I use a light film of black rtv for the installation.

I use high temp red silicone and have never had any problem. You don't let it skin over like the old stuff they used to make though. You just put it on and lightly tighten it down then after 24 hrs. torque it to the proper spec which IIRC is 100 inch lbs.

I have some ultra black Permatex hi-temp rtv silicone. I will install making sure to hit the corners, lightly tighten down let it sit for 24 hrs and torgue to 10 foot lbs as spec.

Thanks for the help
Chris

-
Back