340 prices

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
I was looking to put a 340 in my 71 duster. I have a line on one that came out of a 73-74 duster? Supposed to be a low mileage motor? It comes complete running with a 727 trams. He is asking $2500.00! What's it worth?

I paid $800 for one that needed a total rebuild. I expect to payabout$2,000 for the machine work. If the 340 has low mileage, then $2,500 with a good trans isn't bad at all IMO.

i just bought a "low mile" engine complete with trashed bearings and crank that still spun around

I talked to a guy here that had two running 340's complete. He wants 3500.00 each for them.

I see them more frequently around here on Craigs List and such anywhere from 800 to 1200 needing a rebuild.

One thing to think about is they don't make em anymore.

Depends on a lot of things. If it's in a running vehicle it's worth more than one sitting in the corner of a garage. If it's low original miles it's worth less than one that's built to 70-71 specs. A 72-73 340 is an over rated 318 in in my opinion as well as the opinion of others. If it's been built I would doubt someone built it with the stock pistons. $2500 is high but it's a 340. That means something to some people. I'd never do another 340 when a 360 can be had for a couple hundred bucks and a broader selection of pistons can be found.

I'd blow $2500 on any Magnum, 5.2 or 5.9 (in good running condition, natch) before buying a 340 for that. Roller cam, better heads, better belt system, newer (and easier to verify mileage or origin in some cases).

340's are nice, and they run great, but they are dated and you're paying, somewhat, for a name.

I was looking to put a 340 in my 71 duster. I have a line on one that came out of a 73-74 duster? Supposed to be a low mileage motor? It comes complete running with a 727 trams. He is asking $2500.00! What's it worth?

Key words supposed to be.. When buying used,odors like that you have to treat them as a rebuild able core. No more no less. $2500 is stupid high.

Why do you want a 340, just so you can say you have one??? Unless you are sure it will not need to be gone thru that is pretty steep for a motor. Go out and find a 369 and put the balance towards stroking it........

340's in this day are a daytime soap opera whim. That's as far as they go. Get a Magnum or something.

I'd blow $2500 on any Magnum, 5.2 or 5.9 (in good running condition, natch) before buying a 340 for that. Roller cam, better heads, better belt system, newer (and easier to verify mileage or origin in some cases).

340's are nice, and they run great, but they are dated and you're paying, somewhat, for a name.

Yes but don't forget the Magnum heads are prone to crack, both the 302 and 308's right?. We JUST did heads on 3ea different 2002, 3.9L fleet Dakotas at work. Each came in registering misfire codes. Those heads should be the same as the V8 just missing the extra cylinder.

Depends on a lot of things. If it's in a running vehicle it's worth more than one sitting in the corner of a garage. If it's low original miles it's worth less than one that's built to 70-71 specs. A 72-73 340 is an over rated 318 in in my opinion as well as the opinion of others. If it's been built I would doubt someone built it with the stock pistons. $2500 is high but it's a 340. That means something to some people. I'd never do another 340 when a 360 can be had for a couple hundred bucks and a broader selection of pistons can be found.

What do you mean by an over rated 318? I'm just curious since I don't know much about motors or why a 73 would be that much different than an earlier model. I'm assuming they could all be rebuilt similarly?

I paid $800 for one that needed a total rebuild. I expect to payabout$2,000 for the machine work. If the 340 has low mileage, then $2,500 with a good trans isn't bad at all IMO.

Key words supposed to be.. When buying used,odors like that you have to treat them as a rebuild able core. No more no less. $2500 is stupid high.

Exactly. Its a good running motor till you put it in your car and find out its burning oil and has no compression, makes noise etc. Unless its running in a car from a reliable source I wouldnt pay $2500

What do you mean by an over rated 318? I'm just curious since I don't know much about motors or why a 73 would be that much different than an earlier model. I'm assuming they could all be rebuilt similarly?

In '72 they dropped the compression on the 340, and about midway through the year switched to a Cast Crank (replacing the earlier Forged Crank). Also around the same time they switched from 2.02 Valves to 1.88 Valves.

I traded my Jeep Grand Wagoneer a while back for a freshly machined '69 340 Short block (not assembled, but all the parts are there), plus about $500 worth of A-Body and 340 Parts (it was mile long list of stuff)

Exactly. Its a good running motor till you put it in your car and find out its burning oil and has no compression, makes noise etc. Unless its running in a car from a reliable source I wouldnt pay $2500
Yep, be interesting to start a poll to see how many of us have gotten burnt believing someone.....

I can rebuild a real nice 360 for $2500.....................not biased, I have a couple 340's in the garage!

Yep, be interesting to start a poll to see how many of us have gotten burnt believing someone.....

One of my friends got burnt on a deal like that once. He traded a fresh 360 for a 1972 340 that had been used in a truck. Supposedly ran great and he wanted it for a Duster he had (I ended up buying the '71 Duster and '71 Demon from him, with the 340 and all the parts he gathered up, including a complete 4-speed setup for about $1,200). I Bought it knowing ahead of time that I was going to tear down the 340 and do a full rebuild regardless of condition

When I got the 340 torn down I saw the bearings and crank were annihilated, the previous-previous owner that had it in the truck had a 360 Flywheel behind a Cast Crank 340. Completely destroyed the crankshaft and wiped out the bearings. My friend was standing there, giving me a hand during the tear-down, because he was curious what it looked like inside too. (needless to say he was a bit upset)

It now has a Forged Crank and is built to '71 Specs, a spare Date Coded Ready to Drop in motor for my '72 Demon in case something happens to the numbers matching engine.

About what 74Dusted said. While I don't have the numbers right here I'd bet the 72-73 340 developed around the same horsepower as the 70 318. That's why I said it would be best to build them to 70 340 specs. If someone is going to do that it would be best to start with a cheaper base like a 360 or a 318. The money spent for the 340 could be best spent on the guts of a 360 and you'd be netting a lot better Horsepower to Dollar ratio.

If you are interested I have a 72 340, .030 bore 243 KB pistons, .010 rod and main, x heads ld340 700 dp, windage tray, never fired. $4000

Just an effort to cloud the discussion with facts, early 340's came with all the rotating assembly made from forged steel, later utilized cast - big difference and I believe this started in 72. Be certain to understand what you are looking at, not all 340's are alike.

Yeah i Spoke to the guy who bought that motor, he put it in a 68 cuda and sold it to the guy who is now trying to sell it to me. He paid $900.00 for it a long time ago, put a cam in it and a single plain intake. Not going to bother, i will stay with the big block route i was first looking at. Just thought that a high winding 340 might be a cool deal on the street. same weight as the 225 six cyl.

Every 340 I have come across was over priced imop. 800.00 and up. I picked up a 360 for 100.00 and am going the stroker route.

-
Back