340 stroker build will this make our goal

-

scampy

Reaction score
Ok so our 340 is going to need to go to +.030 and pistons would have to be bought so we are going to 4.0 stroke at this time.Our car is 72 scamp weight with driver 3450,looking to run 10.70.Our 340 set up had us a best of 11.21.So looking at a scat forged crank and i beam rods with auto tec pistons.11.0 compression flat top with light ported eddy rpm 70cc chamber.comp cam 20-635-5 252@.050 .542lift,m 1 intake, holley carb matching 8" converter to engine build 4.30 gear 8 3/4 28x10 slicks.Im thinking i need apprx 500+ crank hp to get there,don't want to get to killer with rear and tire size,this is a bracket car so needs to hook consistent.So will it get me there? I know only time will tell but looking to the guys out there running these things.
Thanks

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Show us a picture of this beast!
This is my before and after!
I'm building the same car.
I have a 416 Stroker, needs to go to my Dyno shop.
Hoping I get 500 HP.
Built trans
8 3/4" with 3:55's
Hoping to get it in the 10's????

I'm debating going this route with my 340. I believe you need the higher duration cam to turn the rpms to run the et. I'm no stroker expert and will follow this thread.

252@ 50 is dinky for a 4 inch stroke motor. The stroke eats duration a ton.
I had a 10.70 combo few years back similar to what you are doing, and almost identical weight.
416, about 11.5 compression. Mildly ported eddies. Went 275@600
Weiand excellerator single plane. TTI 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step headers( bigger would have been better)
1000cfm 4150 carb. 727/ 8 inch convertor. 4.30 gear, 28 by 10 tire
Cam was Dwayne Porter specced. 260/266 598/623 with 1.6 rockers
Car would have run better with bigger headers, more headwork. Shifted it at 6600, nosed over a little last 100-150 foot in the 1/4 mile. Small heads for that cubic inch. Went right at 125 mph
I drove that combo everywhere. 70 mile round trip jaunt to the track on several occasions on the QTP’s i always had on it.
Get a bigger cam. Trust me. Your a good 10 degrees to small
My cam in my current 360 is 260@50 and its barely 10.5 to 1 and it runs good for what it is. 408/416 is a MUCH bigger motor

IMO, not that it is worth much, but, I’d do nothing except change the converters stall, re look into hooking the car and find weight to drop after your stroker as written above is done.

Again, in my worthless opinion, the extra torque is going to need to have the above needs addressed. Converter, suspension, weight drop.

Best of luck!

I have some icon flat top pistons for sale .04 over for a 340
Brand new in box for a 4 inch arm
They are ic744
Would make the compression your after.

Makes it 418 cubes in that little 340

They are ic744

Exact same setup i have sitting in wait for the new trick flow heads
418 with same flat top Icons(40 over 340)..... should be 12.7 with 60cc head...... nice looking slugs

I had a 10.70 combo few years back similar to what you are doing, and almost identical weight.
Weiand excellerator single plane. TTI 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step headers( bigger would have been better)
Car would have run better with bigger headers, more headwork. Shifted it at 6600, nosed over a little last 100-150 foot in the 1/4 mile. Small heads for that cubic inch. Went right at 125 mph
I drove that combo everywhere. 70 mile round trip jaunt to the track on several occasions on the QTP’s i always had on it.
My cam in my current 360 is 260@50 and its barely 10.5 to 1 and it runs good for what it is. 408/416 is a MUCH bigger motor

The cam I have listed is what we where running in the previous build and comp said would work ok but what i have read/seen is kinda what you where saying that about 8deg bigger for the extra cubes was kinda looking at the 20-633-5 cam 260@.050,i just don't want to go crazy its a bracket car so i gota hook it consistant on that 10" tire

They are ic744

Thanks but I only have to take it .030 over and its the only 340 block i've got so need it around for as long as i can

IMO, not that it is worth much, but, I’d do nothing except change the converters stall, re look into hooking the car and find weight to drop after your stroker as written above is done.

Again, in my worthless opinion, the extra torque is going to need to have the above needs addressed. Converter, suspension, weight drop.

Best of luck!
Not sure why you feel your opinion does not worth much,i'm kinda considering that.The convertor will be sent back for restall on engine spec so will be good piece there.Have big concerns about hooking but hopfully will be fine,not looking to cut the car and thats as big as i can fit under her and using the cal trac set up,weight well yea shes all steel except front bumper,the driver however could stand to loose a fe

In short no to your orig post in my opinion, 3450lbs will need an honest 557 on track hp (according to my numbers) to run 125mph with all the ancillaries (thats 600 dyno hp), and you'll be turning around 6700rpm+ at the traps depending on verter slip with 28's/4.30's. Look at B3422w5's post no.5, that gives you a good idea of what you'll need. Don't think its quite as easy as some make it out to be.

Last edited:
In short no to your orig post in my opinion, 3450lbs will need an honest 557 on track hp (according to my numbers) to run 125mph with all the ancillaries (thats 600 dyno hp), and you'll be turning around 6700rpm+ at the traps depending on verter slip with 28's/4.30's. Look at B3422w5's post no.5, that gives you a good idea of what you'll need. Don't think its quite as easy as some make it out to be.

Yep....... went back and looked at my combo. Ran 10.74@ 124.60 best. Typically in the 80’s.
Having a 904, bigger tubes on the headers, or full out porting( somewhere close to 290@600) on the heads would have made it run a bunch better.
An Eddie is actually a pretty darn small head for a 4 inch arm, but with care you can run 125mph at the weight you are with attention to details, without a roller and with modest compression I would probably make the heads as good as you can as a first option. I probably left thirty horse on the table with my combo just having them stage 2 ported by Hensley at the time compared to a full port by someone like Modern Cylinder who gets bigger numbers that make more power

Yep....... went back and looked at my combo. Ran 10.74@ 124.60 best. Typically in the 80’s.
Having a 904, bigger tubes on the headers, or full out porting( somewhere close to 290@600) on the heads would have made it run a bunch better.
An Eddie is actually a pretty darn small head for a 4 inch arm, but with care you can run 125mph at the weight you are with attention to details, without a roller and with modest compression I would probably make the heads as good as you can as a first option. I probably left thirty horse on the table with my combo just having them stage 2 ported by Hensley at the time compared to a full port by someone like Modern Cylinder who gets bigger numbers that make more power

Thanks we do run the 904 trans in our setup,leaning toward the hughes STL6064AS-8 cam 260/264@.050 615/621 lift thats what they are suggesting,we will have to see what she does,as dad says speed is money and money is speed how fast do you want to go,and the wallet is saying thats about it,lol

By the way how did that thing hook with that combo and was it an 8 3/4,was it pretty consistant

By the way how did that thing hook with that combo and was it an 8 3/4,was it pretty consistant

Hooked great. Using super stock springs and cheap CE 3 ways all around.
Bigger motor went 9.60’s at 140 on the same suspension and 28 by 10 qtp’s
Yes. 8.75 rear. Would hook on ice
Broke it first outing with the W5 roller motor. Lived 3 seasons fine( off the foot) with the 416 eddie motor

Well the rotating assy is on its way to me,looks like mid week and we can start to get going on it,alot to do and 2 foot of snow today does not put me in the racing mood,lol

everything came from scat,had to get some custom pistons because of our deck height.Forged crank i beam rods and race tec/auto tec custom piston all balanced.THe cam and lifters and heads should be back this week

And so now i find out the pistons are wrong they are for 4.060 bore and are supposed to be 4.070 bore,just when i thought things where coming together another almost 2 week wait they are telling me,not a happy camper:mad:

Exact same setup i have sitting in wait for the new trick flow heads
418 with same flat top Icons(40 over 340)..... should be 12.7 with 60cc head...... nice looking slugs
When is trick flow making the small block head?

When is trick flow making the small block head?

Talked to them just yesterday. Waiting to hear back from a guy the rep on the phone said was away from his desk when i called. But was told September at worst, maybe sooner
Will repost if the guy in the know calls me back

Talked to them just yesterday. Waiting to hear back from a guy the rep on the phone said was away from his desk when i called. But was told September at worst, maybe sooner
Will repost if the guy in the know calls me back
I talked to Trick flow Yesterday. Told him wanted a set. He told me September for sure. So we wait as I will not buy f*** all from Indy { have 2 sets of indy t/a heads}{ZERO customer service}

-
Back