340 stroker build will this make our goal

-
We did a 408 for my brother, only 10.2 on the comp and the duration is @ 50 254/256 and the it sounds good, but not that radical the big stroke definitely eats up the duration, iron heads pump gas on 10 inch tire, runs 11.00 in a 68 Dart

Sorry, slugs by whom?

How is it going?
2nd set of pistons have arrived and to machine shop,the kit is from scat and they used the race tech/auto tech pistons,still not fully happy as i paid 218 for an expediete on the pistons which worked until the pistons came wrong and now behind a couple weeks,no mention of a refund on that as of yet.

We did a 408 for my brother, only 10.2 on the comp and the duration is @ 50 254/256 and the it sounds good, but not that radical the big stroke definitely eats up the duration, iron heads pump gas on 10 inch tire, runs 11.00 in a 68 Dart
Do you know what weight/gear ratio for the car and what kinda rpm he was turning

2nd set of pistons have arrived and to machine shop,the kit is from scat and they used the race tech/auto tech pistons,still not fully happy as i paid 218 for an expediete on the pistons which worked until the pistons came wrong and now behind a couple weeks,no mention of a refund on that as of yet.
Yikes I hope it all pans out for you quick and painlessly. It can be so Frustrating sometimes.
Do you know what weight/gear ratio for the car and what kinda rpm he was turning
Yea no doubt. Hydraulic, Solid, or Roller?

Well got the block and stuff back from the machine shop,so hopefully its go time now.

slow progress,got the crank in and most of the rings filed for the pistons,got a little carried away with a couple so waiting for a single set

slow progress,got the crank in and most of the rings filed for the pistons,got a little carried away with a couple so waiting for a single set
I wouldn’t get too excited about a little extra ring gap. I did that putting together a 440 and it still leak tested, less than 5 percent, 2 years later.

I wouldn’t get too excited about a little extra ring gap. I did that putting together a 440 and it still leak tested, less than 5 percent, 2 years later.
I was tempted but the one was like 28thou and goal was 18-20 so i was a bit leery to do it,i'm behind schedule since the pistons i said whats a few more days:BangHead:

I was tempted but the one was like 28thou and goal was 18-20 so i was a bit leery to do it,i'm behind schedule since the pistons i said whats a few more days:BangHead:

28 thou isn't too bad...now you are safe to run nitrous :-D

making some progress

20180407_162030.jpg

cam degreed in dead on 104,lots of piston to valve apprx .180 on both intake and exhaust now maybe the pushrods are too long though will have a couple questions on that.

just about ready to go back into the car,finally feel like making some progress after all the various measuring of stuff,still will have the valve train to peek at when pushrods arrive,the intake fit looks decent so getting there but still so much to do

20180412_170320.jpg

Making its way back to its home,engine set in and trans and converter bolted up,stupid ice storm here today,not even taking a chance trying to make it to the garage and points open this coming weekend oh well

20180414_163951.jpg

need to get some shorter pushrods,the hughes cam must be bigger base circle or something cause the old ones now have my adjuster almost in the rocker,ordered a set they stated they where shorter but did not pan out as the are about the same as i have,guess i'm ordering a checker and go from there,opening points day not looking good at all at this point:BangHead:
20180411_065906.jpg

20180417_155645.jpg
Pushrods ordered trying like heck to get this thing running before this weekend,opening day points sunday and of course the weather looks decent 50's instead of the snow and ice we been having,another weekend would not hurt my feelings,don't even know if she'll run yet

Last edited:
you might want to check the new lifters compared to the old lifters on where the seat is located...if you have AMC solid lifters there seat is higher and you pushrods will be too long...

-
Back