354 Hemi

-

RAMM

Reaction score
Yes I know it's not exactly a small block or a Gen 1 354 but it is a Mopar and it does make some decent power.

2005 5.7 Block 3.947" bore x 3.625" stroke (offset ground 6.1L crank HRJ)
Arrow 6.200" .866" 1.89" Honda Rod Journal Piston guided
Custom JE domed slugs Comp 11-1 .043"/043" 3 mm TS AP rings
ARP studs/Head Bolts
Custom Cam .630" 111 LSA 240's @ .050"
Early 5.7 Heads with 6.1 intake port/filled floors (300 cfm @ .500-.600")
Manley 2.04"/1.57"
Cascar intake
Holley XP 650 dbl
MSD HEMI programmable timing

Made 542hp @ 6900-7000 457 tq @ 5100 rpm with the Jone Racing setup and small PaceSetter headers for a 300C. Pretty decent small cube build I think. It's going in a 70 Cuda with a 4spd--should be fun. J.Rob

p.s. Mods feel free to move this thread to wherever it belongs.

thumbnail_Screenshot_20210701-085958_Gallery.jpg

thumbnail_20210630_130324.jpg

Ebody Cudas are hard to get going fast .....will need that engine....unless its gutted out...very nice engine and great recipe. .maybe more people will go this route

Nice numbers! Small block forum is perfect for this.

I like it!

What oil pan does it have? Looks like the new cast aluminum one?

With the four speed and some gear that will put a smile on the owners face.

Yes I know it's not exactly a small block or a Gen 1 354 but it is a Mopar and it does make some decent power.

ARP studs/Head Bolts
Manley 2.04"/1.57"
Cascar intake
Holley XP 650 dbl

Made 542hp @ 6900-7000 457 tq @ 5100 rpm with the Jone Racing setup and small PaceSetter headers for a 300C. Pretty decent small cube build I think. It's going in a 70 Cuda with a 4spd--should be fun. J.Rob

View attachment 1715758856

View attachment 1715758857
If a 360 can be a small block I guess a 354 can also be in the same category (kinda sorta)!!

Nice build! Curious, why not Eagle heads?

I like it!

What oil pan does it have? Looks like the new cast aluminum one?

Yes its the new Holley pan, and No it didn't fit without machining notches to clear the rear 2 main studs. Still a nice piece though. J.Rob

Nice build! Curious, why not Eagle heads?

Probably gonna have some differing opinions on this but considering the displacement, Eagles are WAY too big already, as are all G3 heads, its why they work so well once you put a 4.05 or larger crank in them. J.Rob

ARP studs/Head Bolts
Manley 2.04"/1.57"
Cascar intake
Holley XP 650 dbl

View attachment 1715758856

View attachment 1715758857
Very cool! Funny, we are getting ready to do a 5.7HEMI with Hunkins to see how little money we can spend and make 500HP.

That's badass....and I'm not crazy about new stuff. It'd be bad as hell in Vixen....if I didn't love the slant so much. lol

Yes its the new Holley pan, and No it didn't fit without machining notches to clear the rear 2 main studs. Still a nice piece though. J.Rob

You and I have different opinions of "nice"

Ok? J.Rob
well, you said the pan (which i presume you bought to FIT the engine) needed to be machined down to fit the engine it was designed to fit, but it was still a nice piece

i consider a nice piece to fit what it was designed to fit, without me busting out the dremel, or spending money at a machine shop
especially if the piece is more then 20 bucks, and this pan is what, in the 300 dollar range?

(unless of course there is something going on with the engine i dont know about, that causes the interference?)

well, you said the pan (which i presume you bought to FIT the engine) needed to be machined down to fit the engine it was designed to fit, but it was still a nice piece

i consider a nice piece to fit what it was designed to fit, without me busting out the dremel, or spending money at a machine shop
especially if the piece is more then 20 bucks, and this pan is what, in the 300 dollar range?

(unless of course there is something going on with the engine i dont know about, that causes the interference?)

Ok, fair enough. I'm going to tell you that I've been in manufacturing in one way or another since I was 21 or so, that puts me at almost 27 years in the "trade". I have worked in die casting and plastic injection etc... I have an idea what it takes to bring a new product to market.

The pan is a sand casting and the thickness and heft and quality are top notch, there is baffling cast in, it features threaded drainbacks for turbos etc.. It comes with a windage tray and pick up and the tray fits into machined pockets within the pan that have O ring straps to quell noise and vibration.

I could probably continue with the machining and screw in sump baffle and all O ring gasketing like OEM , but their is no need. I felt I had to put out a friendly warning that anyone using main studs will have to spend some time with a die grinder in 2 little spots at the back of the pan. Will Holley address this-- probably. I received this pan way back in the winter and was probably one of the first run. I expected a few issues. I used exactly 4 dabs of silicone on this engine and it didn't even think about leaking. I do like the new stuff for that. That's just a little review. J.Rob

P.s. NOTHING in this trade fits when its one off, custom, or race.

Nice build. What did you do for the early heads. I have early heads and a set of eagle heads I was going to install. I would much rather keep the early heads.

Ok, fair enough. I'm going to tell you that I've been in manufacturing in one way or another since I was 21 or so, that puts me at almost 27 years in the "trade". I have worked in die casting and plastic injection etc... I have an idea what it takes to bring a new product to market.

The pan is a sand casting and the thickness and heft and quality are top notch, there is baffling cast in, it features threaded drainbacks for turbos etc.. It comes with a windage tray and pick up and the tray fits into machined pockets within the pan that have O ring straps to quell noise and vibration.

I could probably continue with the machining and screw in sump baffle and all O ring gasketing like OEM , but their is no need. I felt I had to put out a friendly warning that anyone using main studs will have to spend some time with a die grinder in 2 little spots at the back of the pan. Will Holley address this-- probably. I received this pan way back in the winter and was probably one of the first run. I expected a few issues. I used exactly 4 dabs of silicone on this engine and it didn't even think about leaking. I do like the new stuff for that. That's just a little review. J.Rob

P.s. NOTHING in this trade fits when its one off, custom, or race.

ok, sure sounds like there was a little more to this pan then i envisioned

thanks for the details

Nice build. What did you do for the early heads. I have early heads and a set of eagle heads I was going to install. I would much rather keep the early heads.

Milled till open chamber - closed, milled oil pressure channels back in, machine 2.08" valves down, bronze guide liners, etc...... A bunch of work, but I wanted the smallish port to work with the Cascar intake which is quite large. Im gonna do it again but with seat replacement and some other tricks. I've had this shortblock up to 551 hp and 482 tq with less headwork, Dragpak intake and less cam. I have an idea of what it will take to reach 600hp at 370 cubes or so. J.Rob

-
Back