360/380HP magnum crate motor value

-

Twisted360

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 360/380hp crate motor I purchased new in the early 90's. It ha been out of the car and on an engine stand for the last 18 years. I would like to sell it. What do you think it is worth? No carb or exhaust. Thank you

Does it have R/T heads on it? Should say on left side of head near exhaust port.

At this point it's a once used magnum motor, taken out, then sat on stand for 18 years. The plus is that M1 intake, performance cam, and possibly R/T heads.

The R/T heads are not as desirable as used aluminum edelbrocks. But more desirable than used bone stock head.

Pluses:
  • It's lower? mileage used Magnum motor
  • performance cam,
  • M1 intake
  • R/T heads IF they are on it.
  • Known entity: 380hp. Not some combo of parts making unknown HP.

Prospective Buyer Concerns/Issues::
  • valve springs loosing rate
  • corrosion
  • narrow metric rings being stuck
  • possible tear down, inspected, new assembly lubed, and re-assembled.
  • Lack of build quality from Mopar Performance back in day
  • outdated cam specs, (low lift to work with stamped rockers)
  • low compression 9:1
  • Modern day availability of higher flowing aluminum heads
  • no hard proof that motor is currently in running condition
  • no hard proof that motor was in running condition when removed. (not calling you a liar. A random buyer knows nothing about you. Nor do you of them)

Last edited:
Does it have R/T heads on it? Should say on left side of head near exhaust port.

At this point it's a once used magnum motor, taken out, then sat on stand for 18 years. The plus is that M1 intake, performance cam, and possibly R/T heads.

The R/T heads are not as desirable as used aluminum edelbrocks. But more desirable than used bone stock head.

Pluses:
  • It's lower? mileage core Magnum motor
  • performance cam,
  • M1 intake
  • R/T heads IF they are on it.

Prospective Buyer Concerns/Issues::
  • valve springs loosing rate
  • corrosion
  • probably should be torn down, inspected, new assembly lubed, and re-assembled.
  • Lack of build quality from Mopar Performance back in day
  • outdated cam specs, (low lift to work with stamped rockers)
  • low compression 9:1
  • Modern day availability of higher flowing aluminum heads
  • no hard proof that motor is currently in running condition
  • no hard proof that motor was in running condition when removed. (not calling you a liar. A random buyer knows nothing about you. Nor do you of them)
Not the R/T heads. So with all that info, what do you think I can sell it for.

To get back to the what it’s worth question…

New ATK crate 4,699.00. ATK Engines HP73M: High-Performance Crate Engine - JEGS High Performance

I know that 320 HP. But cam and spring swap from to close to your 380 but tailored to buyers needs/choice.

To get the discussion going… I think I’d value your used and then put away 380HP crate at $2000 +/- $500

I know +/- $500 is a big swing. But it depends on what facts you can show. Like: endoscope pictures of:
each bore cylinder walls w/piston on bottom stroke
Cam lobe area
Exhaust ports

Hopefully you get some other opinions too.

Last edited:
i'll back up steve's assessment at 2K with an over under of 500

a sitting motor is a concern for all the reasons listed. i see stuff here and elsewhere in that same 25~3 range but it's "just pulled" and usually will have a video of it running.

I bought a used 360/380 crate engine for $600 a few years back. I sold everything but kept the roller block to build my 408. It was LA if that makes a difference.

I bought a used 360/380 crate engine for $600 a few years back. I sold everything but kept the roller block to build my 408. It was LA if that makes a difference.
Lucky bastage.. i would pay that much just for a 360 roller LA block right now.. pain in the *** to find

It ha been out of the car and on an engine stand for the last 18 years.

how much was it used? used motor sitting for 18 years is a core to me. thousand bucks max, being everything about it is unknown. for all the buyer knows it needs everything.

-
Back