360 Advice Needed - Autocross / Street Engine Build

-
SOLVED! The fan was on backwards... :(

I mounted the shroud tonight, and the problem became very obvious. A ton of hot air blowing out from the grill!
With the shroud in place it moves a lot more air, and I could tell that the fan was pushing not pulling.

For some reason all this time when I've been looking at the engine, I always thought it spun clockwise when sitting in the drivers seat.
I noticed the writing on the fan belt going around, and then looked at the fan blades. I messed up big time on this one.

So a little history, this clutch and fan assembly was swapped on with my old 360, which cracked the block then overheated. (I now suspect it was the other way around!)
I guess a lot of this work / expense could have been avoided by looking at the fan rotation the right way... :BangHead:

At least it should now be a pretty stout build! Just hopefully didn't miss anything else like that.

Just flipping the fan around won't change the pitch. It sounds like you have a fan with the blades pitched the wrong way. Oh yeah... lookie-there, in post #93..... Looking back at your pic in post 1, those blades are pitched correctly.

Have I ever told you about hooking up a blow-off valve backwards and making it into a 'blow-on' valve? Took me a while to figure out why the turbo boost would suddenly take a dump when it got to 10 psi LOL. If you don't make mistakes, you ain't doing anything.

Ok, it's not just me, I've got the wrong fan.
I'd bought Dorman 620-037 to go with the Hayden clutch, which looks to be actually the Magnum version so the blades are reversed.

20180320_191828.jpg

Anyone know the correct parts number for the mopar 5-blade fan? I've coming up with Dorman 620-054 or 620-048 but can't find a definite answer.

Ya driving in reverse?
Ever see the film of the making of Hoover dam in Henderson NV?
guy driving the cement mixer backward looking out the rear window and steering with his feet
I'v installed the wrong fan before
glad you caught it

Swapped on the original 7-blade fan (17"?) until I can get this clutch one sorted. Car now runs about 190-200° steady.

Thanks for the help everybody! :thumbsup:

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. Starting to get the car back together this spring, and will hopefully get some track time this summer.

A couple pictures of the new engine bay, should be relatively sleeper but I'm sure you guys can spot a ton of the upgrades hiding:
20210424_160419.jpg

Had to make a 'hybrid' air cleaner to give a drop base and not choke off too much air:
20210424_160424.jpg

Although it's a different setup now, a friend wanted to go drag racing at a street legals night so gave it a couple 1/4 mile passes.

timeslipt.jpg

Traction is limited, even with 150 lbs in the trunk for ballast! It was sure nice having the big brake setup now for stopping at the end of the track. :)

Just got back from some chassis dyno time. It seemed to like around 12.2:1 AFR best, with 36° timing. Was 98° ambient in the room, very hot day!

Best run was a 335hp at 6K, with 430 ftlbs at about 3K. Due to the higher stall, we couldn't test much lower.
dyno.jpg

Pretty much pulled flat through 6400rpm, didn't push it higher but I'm sure it'd be happy to!

So those offset bushings really helped the alignment today. we kept the front cams all the way out, and adjusted the rears to dial in about 1.5° camber:
alignment.jpg

Was able to keep around 7° of caster, which with a 16:1 manual steering and small rallye steering wheel is not much fun in parking lots!

-
Back