360 boost pistons?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I'm looking for some forged pistons that will put me at 8-1 or so.

Any ideas?

Valve pockets would be nice and a lowered top ring is ideal.

My plans are 10-15 pounds of boost with some N2o.

Now this is a cheep build so we can't go crazy with full custom pistons

I know its gonna let go but I'm aware of that so let's have some fun!

If you wont low 8:1 compression on a budget why not just use factory pistons? I know they are cast not forged but I would think a factory dish piston would hold up to 10 pounds of boost! I may be wrong.

Dgibby had some factory 360 pistons and rods for sale I was gonna buy them but the shipping was too expensive all the way to the east coast! I would imagine it would be much cheaper for you.

Are the factory mag pistons forged?

I'm looking at a rebalance no matter what.

They are cast, why not just grab an entire 5.9 mag and run that. I know around here they can be had for 100-500$ complete

I think mags are hyper pistons. I run my 318 mag pistons to 13 lbs boost. I’ve heard tales of 15 psi on oem bottom end. the rods take the fall first so they say.

You can redrill the magnum heads to take an la intake. I built a simple jig to do it. Have 3 sets of heads running this way currentlt

Here u go Cope.

5F3FA908-AC7C-40A6-ACEE-942123FE42B4.jpeg

AF39CC93-0192-426D-9F8A-B645794EB487.jpeg

0AA698B4-1EEA-4BD4-9710-E9F6774581E6.jpeg

I think mags are hyper pistons. I run my 318 mag pistons to 13 lbs boost. I’ve heard tales of 15 psi on oem bottom end. the rods take the fall first so they say.

I don't see the rod falling. I can see the position melting tho..

Hyper scares me with boost.

Kim, those look good but they are hyper, so I'm a bit leery on buying them then having them balanced.

If I'm gonna spend money on this I think it should be on legit pistons.

I'm already way to deep on your carbs.

:)

Thanks again tho. Cant wait to get em!

And I can get pistons coated for free. Top and side.

I don't see the rod falling. I can see the position melting tho..

Hyper scares me with boost.

Rod bolts and crank studs help.

You must be rich and pull timing properly. with hypers or forged, both will grenade if you detonate. forged piston will wear less over time compared to a hyper piston due to the extreme heat with boost. It’ll seal better too. if you plan on a long term engine, 10s of thousands of miles, go forged.

Kim, let me run the part number with my builder and see what he thinks.

Thank you sir!

By the time this is done I'll be over 6 grand just in the induction system.

So I need to be super careful where my money goes.

Cope. PM me your email address & I'll send you some pictures of the Ross pistons I'd sell.

PM sent

Kim my engine builder said no to a hyper piston.

Looks like I'm spending more cash I dont have.

If you are gonna spend the money I'd go with icons! They seem to be really growing in the boost community.

Thanks rumble.

Those look promising!
I'll be running factory cast iron, open chamber heads.

729C4B1A-EF70-42CD-A2D2-F2CCC54FC482.jpeg

Rumble found the deepest dish piston of 18cc, good job Rob!
I can’t seem to locate an off the shelf piston that fits your requirements.
The GSX piston has a higher CR than you’re looking for and it’s a 4032 forging.
With boost and a healthy dose of N2o I’d run a piston with 2618 forging.

Edit, what’s the head CC’s?

Thanks man. I was hoping the OP was running an open chambered head because I couldn’t find the old forged slugs that used to be the only one you could get. He will have to run a thicker than normal gasket but I do think a set of Cometic’s will do it.

The slug has gotta be done in the hole pretty deep & still use a thick head gasket. A lot depends on the target static ratio. If your looking for something in the low 8’s, it’ll have to be something like .100 in the hole with a .100 head gasket.

At least you can fly cut the piston really good being there forged.

-
Back