360 budget build

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting together this engine:

I have these parts:
360 unopened engine out of a 79 truck. Unknown miles.

Some zollner/badger p290 +.020 pistons. Dont know any specs on these other than I think they are flat top with reliefs but I'm not sure. They are at the shop right now.

Scat I beam rods, new factory length.

Speed master airgap intake that everyone loves to hate. I know all about the problems and am prepared to either fix or eat the money I spent and buy better. But let's just say I use that for now.

Comp 20-222-3 cam. 218/224 @.050 .462/.470 lift. 110 lobe sep.

Carter 600 AFB carb.

Factory electronic distributor.

This is what I plan on getting if I build this:
Hughes 1110 springs.

Johnston hydraulic lifters.

Four seconds flat ignition.

New main bolts, possibly a wind age tray.

New oil pump non high volume.

Mechanical fuel pump to keep things simple. Not sure on that. 3/8ths fuel line feeding everything. Might go electric with regulator and return.

Thinnest head gaskets I can find.

The car: 73 dart sport with 323 gears and 225/60 r15 tires on all corners. Tf727. Will spend the coin on a decent custom street convertor. Plan on getting correct governor weights to optimize shift points for cam. Want it to be stab and steer.

My questions are: is it possible to break 300 hp with the compression that I wont have with my combo? I doubt those badger pistons will have a decent deck height and will be in the hole a bit. I'm thinking 8.5 static.

Does this combo sound like it will make a fun driver?

Compression is pretty low.
I believe heads is where you will make or break the combo ?

Nice mild combo. Rods are good even for many race applications and a lot lighter than OEM. Crank will be drilled but you'll still need to stay externally balanced. Hope the bores will clean up at +.020" & hope the heads aren't cracked or seats beat up. Might be better to mill the heads (& intake surface to maintain intake manifold alignment) instead of the thinnest head gasket for better sealing. .039"-.042" are most common. 3/8" fuel line is plenty and a mechanical fuel pump is probably more reliable in the long run. Got a passenger car oil pan? Shift kit or upgraded valve body should help the 727.....or is it a 904/998? A performance rebuild couldn't hurt if it's all original. Will need 360 external balance converter ot B&M 360 LA flexplate with a neutral converter.

I like it. What I'd do differently is :
  • a bigger carb, 750 DP
  • get your money back on the main bolts if you are not using a windage tray. Factory bolts are fine.
  • I had zero issues with my speedmaster intake on a LA 318
  • Fun? Depends on what you consider fun. Some need an 11 second car to say "fun", and others are thrilled with 15 seconds flat. I think your car will run high 12's with proper converter.

Yeah, what’s the issues with the SM AG? I just installed one and it was pretty nice.

I’d get the compression up to 9.5:1 and I’d be buying a custom cam. I would never run a 110 LSA on those heads. And a couple of degrees make a big difference.

I’d call PTC and let them hook you up with a converter. I just bought two 9.5 inch STREET converters and with shipping they were under 600 bucks that’s a smoking deal.

I also like the double pumper carb, but I’d look for something with a 1.350-1.380 venturi and a 1.687 base plate. And forget about the CFM rating.

Put the SM intake on it. Decent intake and will help.

The rest of the stuff should be able to make 300+ hp with a good tune up.

Unless there is something wrong with the stock main cap bolts, why replace them.

Hughes springs and budget? Nope... trick flow 16901-16 $53 for a set at summit. Same spring that comp recommends, IIRC. That will save you about $50 right there

Buy the 4 seconds flat limiter plate and do the timing/curve yourself using the OEM electronic distributor. Run an older orange or chrome box... BUDGET!!!

Last edited:
Here is my 360 build.

IMG_24951 (1).jpg

I know! Budget budget budget! But what is the long term plan? Fun street motor with NO possibility of going for more power in the long term? Or no long term plan to build another more serious LA based motor? This is why, I don’t like hyd cams! Solid flat tappet. This will cost more for adjustable rockers/push rods, but if in the future you want to increase power. You will already have rockers. Hyd lifters are such a crap shoot, to me it is a false economy to go with a hyd cam avoiding the cost of rockers. On a dead stock rebuild ok, but anything else no.

-
Back