360 build for dart swinger

-

Rodsaknockin

Reaction score
here goes I have a 318 car and want to build a good streetable 360 now I have a 360 out of a pick up with less than 10000 miles but pulled the heads and they are 60cc 318 heads with the exhaust valve seats pounded out on two cylinder cross hatch is still in the bores would like to hone cylinders and bump compression and get some help picking the right pieces if that's doable in your guy opinion.i also have another 360 out of a motor home low comp engine that I have to go pick up it was rebuilt and a 727 but the guys plans went south. Wondering if it could have j heads. Have thought about a stroker but don't want to put 10gs into a engine or so the machine shop quoted me. I have dougs headers Eddie intake holley carb or Eddie carb and have waited on buying a converter.
Would like some help with this. I'm a heavy duty mechanic but haven't built a hot street motor for a long time . Would like something that's really healthy but also that the wife will still drive. Thanks in advance

Wondering what head are on the motor home motor.

What is the budget for your build?
Pistons, cam w/lifters and head work or bore and after market heads?

A basic entry level first step “Hot 360” performing package without rebuilding on the known good engine would be the basic bolt on’s and a small cam. Here is one example;

OE or Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, 750 4bbl., A Jegs dual exhaust kit for headers or duals off the exhaust manifolds.
Cam example; Lunati Street Avenger Cam and Lifter Kits 80360LK

To be totally honest really haven't set a budget 5 thousand ? have looked at Eddie heads but have read some stuff about the j heads also thought about a set of magnum heads. I would like advice on what parts work I'm open to ideas for sure

A lot of this “Something the wife could drive” is super subjective since my wife can handle 500hp and drives her monster a lot, a real lot.

Tell us about your ride. It would help a lot know what we are starting with. What may need to be changed out, what can stay. Etc...

Last edited:
Okay so I'm not shooting for the moon with hp/tq numbers but where do you think I would end using your suggested prescription

Here is my current build for my 72 Dart. And it was way less than $10k

20180217_202424.jpg

It is a 1972 Dodge Dart swinger 318 with 4 barrel dual exhaust and a 904 trans

That looks nice. Those American dollars buy a lot more than the Canadian peso

Okay so I'm not shooting for the moon with hp/tq numbers but where do you think I would end using your suggested prescription
Where do you want to be.
Approximately they will make;
First prescription = 300hp
Prescription two = 340hp
Head work to #2 add 25hp

Script 1 is ultra driveable. Grandma would love it if it is quite enough. ;)
You could retain the stock Bwy. gears.

Script 2 would be a nice hot rod docile enough the wife “shouldn’t complain” a best result would be with an increased stall converter and 3.55 gears.

I have not opened the rear axle up to check ratio I bought this car this last summer is a good driver changed the timing chain and gear set added the intake /4barrel duals

It is a 1972 Dodge Dart swinger 318 with 4 barrel dual exhaust and a 904 trans
Nice start.

What rear end size, gear ratio and tire size.

Come on now! Give up the information for best results! If you don’t know, that’s OK. Pictures will solve a ton of issues!
;)

As you stand now, with the 318, go for cam in package 1.

If you go with a 360, let us know.

Ok I was going to order a 2400 stall and if I did decide on aluminium heads what would you guys choose what comp ratio would you pick before you are running premium all the time

This is all way to general.

87 octane w/aluminum heads?
A lot depends on the cam that is YET UNDECIDED!

8.5-1

It has factory original poly glass tires on it don't know what rear axle is in it

Also DONT ORDER A CONVERTER UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT CAM YOUR RUNNING!

That would and can be a huge mistake!

Original tires????

Danger, danger, danger!!!!!

Okay thanks for the info I will do a little more digging on my end gear ratio etc

-
Back