360 Crank Interchangeability

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
What is the difference between a 3418640 (71-89 360) and the 4027169 (89-92 360) cranks? Are they interchangeable? Can I put the 89-92 crank in an 71-79 360 block without any issues (ie damper etc)?

Thanks guys

I just went through this ^^^ What he said. Just run the right bearing for the year crank you're using - not for the year block you're using.

^^Could you guys elaborate on reasons why one needs to run the correct year bearing. The differences I'm aware of are the thrust flange width and 1/2 or full groove. I don't see how the width of the thrust flange, or the oil groove matters as far as 360 crank interchangeability. The factory was using those early bearings well after the cranks were redesigned for the later widened flange. Is there some other aspect of the bearings that makes them exclusive to the year crank they are intended for ?

From what I've encountered the thrust flange was changed sometime in middle of the 74 model year run.

I will have to check the block that I use them in to see if it has enough machined on the thrust face for the later bearing vs the early one.

Thanks for the info so far guys! :cheers:

-
Back