360 dreaming...

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Ok, its cold and there is 2 feet of snow here in eastern Ohio, so I'm stuck babysitting and dreaming about my 360. Opinions are what I'm looking for.

Its an 85' block, crank, and rods. Block will have all the normal machine work done, bore/plate-hone, decked square and zero with the pistons, crank cut/polished (or just polished, it looks decent), and the rods resized with arp bolts. I got a set of kb191's REALLY cheap, .040 over. Like, cheaper than the cost of 2 new pistons, and the set is brand new. I talked to KB, and since these have a solid dome, I'm thinking of having .075 cut off of them to bring my compression down to about 10.75-11 to 1 (I haven't done any actual calculations or anything yet, this is just my snowy day thinking). All balanced when its done.

I am getting a good price on a Lunati Voodoo .513/.533 cam and lifters, and I already have a set of X-heads that I ported a while back, with a new set of chevy 2.05/1.625 valves that are .100 longer.

It will be followed by a 4-speed, just gotta collect the bellhousing, etc, all stuffed in a 66' Valiant 2-dr post.

My questions-
-Will the stock rods be ok? I'm doing this as budget-minded as possible, and I won't have the money for good rods until at least next year, maybe longer. I wanna drive this thing.
-What intake should I use? I have a line on a Strip Dominator, but I gotta come up with more cash first.
-What gears do you guys think would be best? I have a 741 case lying here, I think it would hold up ok, but I am not too sure. I'm thinking 3.91's?

Gimme some input! So far, in all my parts, I have less than $400, I'm going to see if I can do this for $1500. I'm a good shopper.

dang man you should do some engine shoppin for me! im plannin on gettin a 360 into my 70 dart (chuck the 225 /6) and im being buried in the amount of parts i need to find and then come up with the cash to buy haha

sorry i wasnt any help but good luck on the build!

Haha it can get overwhelming! I got the engine out of a truck that I bought, and sold the body to someone building an off road truck, so he basically paid me $100 bucks to take the engine. The heads I picked up a long time ago for $150, bare, and I got the valves on ebay for $51. Believe it or not, the pistons ended on ebay for $71 plus shipping. Also have 10 degree retainers and locks, etc. Machine work is expensive tho.

yeah te key price ive heard is $500 for machining but id assume more haha. is your dart goinna be a daily driver or the "fun" car? mine is a daily driver and hiopefully when im done itll be a tire-smokin, ricer-roastin cruiser haha

For now, my Dart is just gonna be a semi-quick cruiser. Down the road, far down the road, I would like to build a stroker or new hemi transplant, but I am just putting a mild cam/ported stock valve heads/headers/LD340 in it just to have fun. The Valiant is going to be the car I just have fun in for as cheap as possible.

-
Back