360 Flywheel question

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have rebuilt 360 engine, been laying around in my garage for about 3 to 4 years now. Thinking about putting a 833 4spd behind it. I have searched for flywheels . Rockauto only has them for pickups . It says 11" clutch and 143 teeth on the fly wheel. will this work if I get the matching clutch assy?
I saw a member here had one for a 360 with 130 teeth, whats the diff ?
My set up is from a 318 which is balanced internal and a 10.5" clutch ,IIRC.
Whats my options ? Any help would be appreciated !

Last edited:
Here they are

B7FA26D1-BC6E-426F-9C67-A2D1EE144720.jpeg

1E0CF6D3-BDB0-4EFA-B4E4-929BA21031B5.jpeg

Car bell housings use the 130T wheel. Trucks use the 143T wheel.
McLoad has a good 130T wheel with 360 weights which Dan at Brewers probably carries..

I have a flywheel , Gonna look into the weight .I would hope it comes with diagram of where it gets mounted.

I did a LA 360 4 speed back in the day. My buddy gave me his 340 flywheel with instructions on where and how deep to drill for balancing. Set up ran smooth as glass. He got that info somewhere I just don't know where.

I just found this.
The easiest way to do this is to just buy/get an external balance flywheel. They're readily available, you can get new ones from all the major parts houses. They're also pretty easy to find (they made a lot of them). Keep in mind you'll also need an external balance harmonic damper as well if there isn't one with the engine already. (here's how to tell the difference in the dampers Moparts on the Web - Main Index )

If you have an internal (or neutral) balance flywheel, you can also drill it to make it an external balance flywheel, like so...

340castbalance.jpg

You can do this yourself, but a machinist would probably be a better choice. Its pretty simple, but you need to be precise. You also need to make sure you actually have a neutral balance flywheel to start with.

This is a neutral balance, 130 tooth flywheel for a forged crank 318 or 340. All the holes in the outer part of the flywheel go all the way through.
DSCI0003.jpg

Typically (but not always) an external balance flywheel will have a pattern of 3 holes drilled next to each other, partially into the flywheel. But obviously one modified using the template above will only have 1. This is an external balance flywheel (although this is a 143 tooth flywheel, for big blocks (383, 440, etc) or trucks with a granny 4 speed).

fly-1.jpg

All of that said, if you're building a new engine you should have the rotating assembly balanced anyway. You're likely using aftermarket pistons, which tend to be lighter, which means the balance of the rotating assembly has changed. If your using aftermarket rods, you're even further into it. If you really want your engine to last and make better power, you should have the parts you're actually using balanced together. This usually costs about $250 to $300, but its well worth it to have all of your parts spinning true. Otherwise you could end up with vibration and premature bearing wear, even if you use all external balance parts.

Important This is for 130 tooth flywheel.!!
I know the 143 is out there somewhere as well.

That bolt-on weight is for the Mcleod wheel only. I have one weight for a 360 Mcleod wheel I'll sell you cheap if you want to go that route. I did the same thing you did, thinking it would work on any wheel, but their wheels are pre-drilled to mount those.

The three LARGE holes shown in Moparmarks' post above are sort-of correct for a 360, and the correct engineering print is this one:
360flywheel.jpg

The smaller holes in MoparMarks' photo are (IIRC) for when balanced for a 5.9 Magnum (Unless they're deeper and at a different radius to equal the same rotational inertia as the Mopar engineering print I provided). The small holes shown circled in red above are only standard-balance holes, most flywheels have those in one capacity or another.

And yes, for the 10.5 inch Chevy-pattern pressure plate that most cars use, you want the 130-tooth flywheel.

Nope your correct. Was thinking 15/16" not 13/64" for the 360 wheel. My pic is of a factory 143T 360 wheel. The 5.9 wheel is similar but has smaller holes.

Ok. The flywheel I have is neutral balance from a 68 318. The 360 has the external balancer on the front of crank. Looking at the diagrams you guys posted ,I could just drill some holes in the flywheel to remove some weight in the exact spot., or get the add on weight kit , which I would hope comes with a template for installing it.
Or get $300 flywheel for a 360. I will have to dig out my flywheel and compare it to the ones you guys posted up here for me. You all stay tuned as I'm sure I'll have more questions. Lol Thanks.

Ok. The flywheel I have is neutral balance from a 68 318. The 360 has the external balancer on the front of crank. Looking at the diagrams you guys posted ,I could just drill some holes in the flywheel to remove some weight in the exact spot., or get the add on weight kit , which I would hope comes with a template for installing it.
Or get $300 flywheel for a 360. I will have to dig out my flywheel and compare it to the ones you guys posted up here for me. You all stay tuned as I'm sure I'll have more questions. Lol Thanks.

To be clear, there is no add-on weight for a factory flywheel, that I've ever seen.

If you're up for doing the mod yourself, I can fax you the blueprints. The 1-13/64 drill will be imposable to find, But use a 1- 3/16 bit and drill the depth to .6770 inch instead.
100_2264.JPG

Alright, I did some checking. My 1976 360 crank is drilled and even has an old bushing in it. So I'm good there. Checked flywheel, no #s to be found on it. But I know it's from a 1968 318. With no add on weight kit available for it, so I'm leaning towards getting a new 360 flywheel. Only ones I've found are over 300 bucks plus shipping. Looks like Brewers has neutral balance with a mod for the cast , looks like they are a little cheaper. Anyone have one they want gone? Lol

Copy the pic in post #13 and ask a machine shop how much to drill or better yet get blueprint from post #20. Should not be much. Mine was fine and cost $30. That was a long time ago.

-
Back