360 into a 61 -62 Valiant ????

-

TJP

Reaction score
I know the swap has been done more than once and I have spent a reasonable amount of time trying to find out the easiest approach but have not been able to find consistent information :(

I am hoping someone will chime in with with respect to engine mounts, K member, exhaust manifold / header options etc. Trans will be a 904.

Thanks in advance for any input

Tim

TJP, I did this swap (LA 360) into my daily driver '62 Valiant V-200. The pre-'64 A-bodies have a quite narrow engine bay.

The K-member on the '60-'61 models is Valiant/Lancer only, but in '62 they started using the same K-member in the A-bodies as they used in their other cars. So a '62 is definitely easier for this swap than a '60 or '61.

I used Shumacher conversion engine mounts, which work well, but they move the engine back on the chassis as far as possible, so you have to ditch the heater box. However, I believe Hemi Demon fabbed his own mounts, and was able to keep the heater:

Engine swap 62 Valiant

Hemi Demon was also able to find room under the hood for the battery, but I was not, and had to relocate it to the trunk.

I used exhaust manifolds from a 340 because they were the only ones I could find that would clear the fenderwells, but my engine has a fairly large cam, 10.5:1 compression and is ported, and I think those manifolds are too restrictive for my engine. I haven't figured out what to do about that yet. With headers I think you are talking about cutting the fenderwells.

I swapped in '72 Duster V8 front spindles and Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes. In the rear I am using the 8-3/4" diff with a Dana Power-Lok posi and the 10" drums from that same Duster.

I hope Hemi Demon chimes in here. I am sure he could help you a lot.

Valiant wiring.jpg

Thanks for the reply Bill. I am working with a 61 that was butchered together by another shop that should be nuked if it is still in business. I am trying to undo the butchery and keep running into land mines LOL

It started with trying to rebuild the front end. When trying to install the new pitman and idlers it was discovered that they had been bent to clear the oil pan, this due to the engine being set too low in the chassis using BUBBAS 24 pack engine mounts, ( yes he butchered the k frame doing so). The L head pipe was literally running lengthwise against the torsion bar.
We have raised the motor enough to clear the steering. Next up is the u-joint angles which are way out of line. After that onto the manifolds/headers.
Once again I was hoping for a easy solution but it appears that is not going to be. the case. This is one I wished I had never laid eyes on :(
BTW it's a dark blue 4 door that made the rounds after being built about 13 years ago. A friend / customer bought the pile about 2 years ago from a pimp shop in Florida. He should have sent it back

Bill, did you make those J-bars? I need some in my inner-fenderless 65.

Pishta, those are from Magnum Force. They were a bit expensive, but less expensive than buying the various kinds of steel pipe would have been. (Part of that is because I would have to buy 10-foot pieces of all the different kinds of tubing that MF uses.) Then I would have had to have it bent, and maybe it wouldn't have fit right. So guess what; I bought from MF; installation was easy; it fit; and I was satisfied. Worth the price, IMHO.

TJP, I did this swap (LA 360) into my daily driver '62 Valiant V-200. The pre-'64 A-bodies have a quite narrow engine bay.

The K-member on the '60-'61 models is Valiant/Lancer only, but in '62 they started using the same K-member in the A-bodies as they used in their other cars. So a '62 is definitely easier for this swap than a '60 or '61.

I used Shumacher conversion engine mounts, which work well, but they move the engine back on the chassis as far as possible, so you have to ditch the heater box. However, I believe Hemi Demon fabbed his own mounts, and was able to keep the heater:

Engine swap 62 Valiant

Hemi Demon was also able to find room under the hood for the battery, but I was not, and had to relocate it to the trunk.

I used exhaust manifolds from a 340 because they were the only ones I could find that would clear the fenderwells, but my engine has a fairly large cam, 10.5:1 compression and is ported, and I think those manifolds are too restrictive for my engine. I haven't figured out what to do about that yet. With headers I think you are talking about cutting the fenderwells.

I swapped in '72 Duster V8 front spindles and Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes. In the rear I am using the 8-3/4" diff with a Dana Power-Lok posi and the 10" drums from that same Duster.

I hope Hemi Demon chimes in here. I am sure he could help you a lot.

View attachment 1715177637

Hi i used Shumacher enginemounts an 360Magnum manifolds but i had to grind of 1/4 to make them fit and the heaterbox is modified whith a Mazda heatercore because had make clearance for distributor
20180303_123111.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see your ride please hit me back NEED INFO ON MOUNTS AND exhaust

-
Back