360 la headers & straight pipe

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
On our dart we have 360 la , headers , straight 2.5 all the way out the back . It's not very loud . At idle it's quiet even . If we slam on gas it pretty loud but not Like we want. Not at all like others guys with 318/340/360s I see at hangs. I want our car obnoxiously loud . We had glass packs on it and took them off

Do you have an x pipe or crossover? If so, ditch it.
Cut the pipes short of the axle and put on some downturns.
If that doesn't do it, you need more cam and compression.

I don't have x pipe . Yeah I didn't want to side pipe it as in traffic that exhaust always comes back in the car. But I didn't know cam and compression made it louder lol . I knows it changed stuff and the lobe and creates more power but I didn't think that equaled louder lol . I mean stock 5.0s are mean sounding.

I guess now question why is our 360 so weak lol. No I don't know our compression it's seems to be stock 73 motor other than intake and 4bbl on it

I guess now question why is our 360 so weak lol. No I don't know our compression it's seems to be stock 73 motor other than intake and 4bbl on it

They're not weak, but later motors had lower compression.

There's dumb things that can make engines louder. Like retarding idle timing.

The cam has a huge effect on the sound, but the bigger the cam the higher the compression should be. Too much compression without enough cam and it'll have issues, but big cams also tend to perform at higher revs - so there's such a thing as too much.

Are you running manifolds? Those will be quieter than headers too.

I have headers , post says that . I don't see how anything flow master does makes anything louder . May make or sound good but they not magnifiers

Compression, cam and horsepower make sound. Have you been behind it with someone else "on" it? Might be louder than you think!

Flow masters use a baffle shape and location that can reflect waves which do effectively amplify, depending on the frequency. Some people love them, others not so much.
Mufflers or resonators can have a huge impact on volume and tone. Plenty of books out there explain how. Suffice to say, proper system design matters.
With headers and no Mufflers, it sounds like your engine simply lacks the performance attributes that make an engine sound gnarly - cam and compression.

i had straight pipes cut at the axle on my roached out 69 barracuda. even with a 318 2bbl and manifolds it was unbearably loud; that lasted about a week till i knocked the cheapest turbo mufflers i could find on there.

if you're looking for eye watering decibel levels, it really can't get much louder than what you've got until you start modifying the motor.

LOL......This why our hobbies come under regulatory pressure....We're pissing people off. Just like the diesels with the insane black smoke that is supposed to be cool. Just my opinion.....That's how old I am! :)

Pull your pipes off and just run the open headers. Fatten up the idle to make that nice cackle and make bystander's eyes water.
If you want loud and obnoxious, put fart cans on it. May not be a lot louder, but you'll have the obnoxious part covered.
Personally, I prefer a quiet system that has a mellow burble at idle. That way the Muskrats and ricers get totally embarassed when that silent Grandma Dart with whitewalls just walked all over them.
I won't have any suggestions when you ask how to get that rad tilted wheel look, though.
1678975802230.png

A stock 1973 360 is very low compression (barely 8:1) and if it has a 2-bbl cam it'll hardly make any noise even with open headers. My '72 D200 has a 360 with stock 2-bbl cam and when I put headers on it I drove it around for a bit with no exhaust and it was only loud when I revved it or had it under load.

At bare minimum you need to put some sort of small aftermarket cam in it to get any decent sound. You will probably need mufflers after that point too lol. I will likely put the smallest of the Lunati Voodoo series hydraulic in mine to keep the bottom-end grunt but since yours is in an A-body the second smallest one should work well. It'll give quite a power boost too, stock non-HP cams are a joke unless you're lugging the engine at 1000 RPM all the time with a manual transmission in a big heavy truck.

Sooo funny, I had a customer with a fox body ask me how to make his car sound like our Darts, I told him he'd have to buy a Dart, or put a Mopar engine in it ! !

Same answer to the OP ! !

I know, he wants loud , still funny to me .

A stock 1973 360 is very low compression (barely 8:1) and if it has a 2-bbl cam it'll hardly make any noise even with open headers.
With headers and open exhaust, :BangHead: :BangHead: it will be slower than with manifolds and full exhaust. (with mufflers)

-
Back