360 LA oil pan on a 360 Magnum?????????

-

dustoff440

Reaction score
I had read and heard that you must use the LA pan gasket when putting the LA 360 pan on a 360 Magnum. I looked and measured and checked this out this morning. I dont know all the correct terms but I'l tell you what I found. On an LA pan there is an almost 90 degree indentation in the corner of the metal lip up front where the pan meets the the timing cover and it is where you pull the "tit" of the gasket through a small hole to help secure it in place. The magnum pan doesnt have that angled corner and the gasket is a one piece deal that doesnt have an angled corner lip. For those of you who are familiar with this situation, why wouldn't heating and straightening that angle to match the curve of the pan there work, then the gasket would have a good backing instead of air behind it????

If you've evr had to straighten or repair the sealing flange of a pan you'll understand...lol. The block, timing cover, and pan are different materials and move and expand differently. It's difficult to make any damage or inconsistancy seal long term there. Plus, I don't beleive straightening steel that has been stretched over a die will give a very good perch for the gasket that is made not to adhere to the surfaces. Give it a shot.. Make sure there's no oil on the durfaces and I'd glue the gasket to the pan first.

Hey:

I'm using an LA pan on my 5.9.

I've had really good luck with the one piece oil pan gaskets so I wanted to use that with my Magnum swap. I used a hybrid of both gaskets. I used the rubber timing cover end piece from the 360 gasket (with the rubber tits you pull through) and cut the same end piece off of the magnum gasket and pitched it. the rear portion of both gaskets is the same.

I put a dab of silicon where the cuts are and no leaks so far. Much easier than straightening on the pan.

Steve

As Moper said I doubt you'd be able to straighten it and get it right. I'd try filling it in with something way before I'd attempt to straighten something that's been stretched over a die. Why not use epoxy to build up the low area so it's like a Magnum pan?

-
Back