360 magnum build

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
decided for simplicity sake I'm going to run a carb'd 360 magnum (stock 240hp)

here is the plan to keep the motor street-able yet very fun-

these heads-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DODGE-E...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item563344b08d

Comp 20-604-9 roller cam (264/274 .512/.512 w/ 1.6RR)
Harland pedestal 1.70 mount rockers (.544/.544" lift)
Edelbrock Airgap 4bbl carb intake w/ 1" spacer
Holley 750 vac. sec. carb
Summit long tubes w/ 3" exhaust

Does this seem like a decent street combo?

What stall converter should I get?

Just a quick glance, looks like a super streetable combo. That cam is mild enough that you wont need a lot of converter. 2500/2800 stall should be plenty, imo. Just curious about your thoughts on the heads......are you starting off with just a shortblock? If you have the longblock, are the heads worn out or cracked, which they can be. Wondering if you need replacements, or are just going for the 2.02's. I'm just not sure a intake diameter upgrade is really needed with your planned combo? Also, I have no problem with a vac secondary 750, but you can probably get away with a little smaller carb, if that would work for you.

Watch the cam lift.. Should work,but close. Stock EQ heads,get touchy about .530 .540. Will work,just check clearances: valvespring retainer,to valve guide boss. Ask your head supplier,about shortening the valve guide heighth.Other wise,nice combo. Rick spot on the converter. Had a cam bigger than that,idled a 750 in drive. Had a stock 340 idle to it.

Do a search on those heads. I've read some bad things about heads from that clearwater company

NEW 318 360 DODGE EQ MAGNUM HEADS

-THESE HAVE HAVE STAINLESS 2.02 INTAKE VALVES AND STAINLESS 1.62 EXHAUST VALVES.

-THESE HEADS COME WITH HEAVY DUTY VALVE SPRINGS GOOD UP TO ..600 LIFT.

-THESE HEADS COME WITH A SEAT PRESSURE OF 120 LBS AT 1.660 INSTALLED HT.

-THESE HEADS ARE EQUIPPED WITH HEAVY DUTY RETAINERS AND VALVE KEYS.

-64 cc

Tony,the springs go .600. I checked,assembled my O.O.T.B EQ's. No valve job.New S.I valves. Total clearance was .580 guide to retainer,using the matching Hughes 1110 retainers. I usually use .050" clearance,as acceptable(Howards spec). Basically,.530 in my opinion. Take the guide cutter,call it a day.

I only copied what was posted on the ebay auction description...the ad says they go .600...

All good. If anyone knows lack of quality in product,would be a weekend racer. God knows,you got that covered.

Just some food for thought.

1) the EQ Monster Magnums are the exact same castings as the EQ Magnums. The only difference is the springs/restainers. Clearwater sells a version with 2.02 intake valve for $375. If you call them up they will install springs to match your cam specs. If you have them use the .550" springs and stock retainers you can get them for $400 each.
EQhead02.jpg

EQhead01.jpg

2) Call up Comp and go custom on the cam it is the same price. Why spend all that money for a efi computer compatible cam? You will need to decide if you plan to run a electric or mechanical fuel pump.

3) I would skip the roller rockers and just use the stock rockers and pedestals. Thats a lot of money for a little return. If you go custom on the cam you won't need a 1.7 rocker bandaid to make your cam seem bigger.

4) Summit long tubes are a pain to install and 2 1/2" exhaust should be fine for a street car. Summit sells header to bumper exhaust kits in 2 1/2" for a good price.

5) If you look up Clearwater in the BBB don't be surprised to see an "F" rating. They are not registered/certified by/with the BBB.

Looks like a fun project!

This is just an idea.. I found a running magnum long block for $400 and was just thinking of a better top end and a cam as a budget build for my Demon

I have a 79 360 block I can build up also..

If you want to go roller cam, then the magnum block would be a better place to start. If you can verify the magnum runs and doesn't make any strange sounds, then it would be a good starting point.

I started down this road a while back, but the Magnum I started with for $400 turned out to be toast. I decided to take all the parts I acquired for the Magnum swap and throw them at my old 360 (LA). I ordered up the 2.02 version of the EQ magnum head from Clearwater with the LA intake bolt pattern. In order to use the roller cam I had in the LA block I had to order retrofit hydraulic lifters from Hughes Engines for $360.

I just got the motor back together and running again, but it has rained almost every day since so it doesn't have much time on the road yet.

I was hoping to get 9.5 to one compression by swapping the small chamber heads onto the LA 360, but the pistons we so far down the hole .088 that even with thin head gaskets I ended up with 8.7 to 1 compression.

The pistons in the Magnum motor should be closer to the deck yielding a better compression ratio.

well I decided to go with my 79 block and I'll have my machinist check the deck height and mill the decks if they're over .050" in the hole

do the 360 block instead

go to hughes engines http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php

look for this kit
HUG 2090
LA SMALL BLOCK TOP END POWER KIT

comes with aluminum heads complete, intake, cam

really a better deal in the long run... same or better power, less weight, can go 1 point higher in static comp ratio than iron heads

just my opinion. you would be spending $1000 shipped for a set of iron heads.

-
Back